Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

*sigh* another suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *sigh* another suspension issue

I have searched the forum,and I am speculating I have a bad valve control block but I wanted to get some other opinions. Checked for faults, and here is what I got:

3 Faults Found:

01772 - Signal from Level Control Pressure Sensor (G291)
27-10 - Implausible Signal-Intermittent

01400 - Suspension Level Control
11-00 - Control Limit Not Reached

01770 - Temperature Sensor for Level Control Pump/Compressor (G290)
27-10 - Implausible Signal-Intermittent

Here is what I experienced: Car has been holding fine on all levels, so I do not believe I have any leaks. Yesterday I came to a stop and noticed that although the green "up" light was blinking indicating the car was trying to raise to level 3, the car was not raising. I blinked for a long time, but the car never moved. Eventually, I hit the down button and the car appeared to settle on level 2. At some point thereafter, I dropped it to level 1, which it did. When I tried to bring it back up again, the green light just blinked and the car did not move. When I got to my destination and got out of the car, the driver side rear was nearly bottomed out. I thought I had a bad rear air spring - bummer, but easily fixed. I did my errand, came back to the car and started it. I hit the up button, and the car raised up a little. I drove home, and on the drive home the orange suspension light in the dash came on solid and the level one green light started blinking. Eventually the orange dash light started blinking. When I got home, the front end was slammed and the back appeared okay. Pressing the up and down buttons does nothing now. I can't even hear the compressor come on; all of the suspension lights just blink at me.

Any thoughts on where to go from here?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had very similar codes when I also suspected the vac block, but I can't conclusively confirm that being the issue since I never fixed mine.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you inspected it? Because of the location, i have seen wiring at the control block and pump corroded and have poor connections with strange codes.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, the good news is: you have a leak. Ok, it's the better of the news, not necessarily good news. The bad news: I don't know where, and it sounds like you don't either. For sure though, your system is loosing pressure, this we can agree on.

I had a similar problem, intermittently, and only for a few weeks or so. To start, my compressor has been weak for some time. Then the loss of level 4. Then overnight sag (drastic). Limited usability of the level control feature (i.e. the majority of the time if I hit the button, the compressor would run, but for only 90sec, time out and the suspension light would come on; other times, and less frequently, the button would summons no reaction whatsoever from the compressor). By dumb luck, one day the car came up to level 2. Seemed to hold there for a few weeks. Knowing I was going to have to do some suspension work very soon, I decided to do the beer can fix to the compressor (I posted a walk-through; search [beer can easy]). Wonderful results. Much more responsive compressor. I hit all levels now. Fantastic, but I still have a leak It's not sagging overnight, but does require the compressor to come on after acceleration/launch squat. So, I'll get new rear bags and hope that this is the only issue.

As for you - If you have 4 ramps, put your car up, but at curb weight, and wipe/soak the bags with soapy water. Try to find the leak. Try the lines. Check near the valve body (next to the compressor, under the car and in front of the spare tire well). Depending on the mileage, you may also want to consider the compressor repair (I did it first because it was the cheapest route BY FAR! Only $0.10 if you're a god-fearing human and consume the alcohol before cutting the can up...and are from Michigan. $0.05 for some of you suckers out there, and nadda/zippo/zilch for the rest of ya!!!

Keep us posted.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I replaced the compressor a couple months ago, and the wiring looked like it was in good shape. I have not crawled underneath since then though. I'll take a look this weekend and see if anything obvious jumps out.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well it does make sense, if it cant pump up, the pressure sensor is just relaying there is no pressure or a "low signal". And the temp sensor would be the compressor overworking trying to raise the car and it finally overheated, and thats when it cuts the system. So it just sets, control limits not reached and disables the whole system. Can you clear the codes and it raises back up, or at least tries?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got underneath the car last night, and it turns out that one of the wires into the compressor had come loose. I repaired that and looks like I'm good to go. What a relief!