Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2001 2.7T Fuel pump dead?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started and drove the car this morning no problem, no issues with what could be a fuel pump that is on its way out. When out this evening to head out and the car will not fire - as if it is not getting gas. Fuel Pump, relay, other?

2004 2.7T

Thanks
Old 02-16-2014, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KekePerkele

Hello, I just wanted to ask if your problem was also combined with strong smell of gas, or leak. My AR suddenly is taking longer to start, keeps cranking and cranking no problem, then finally starts, this was a sudden change in behavior. At the same time, our garage has strong fuel smell and even when AR parked outside you can smell gas.

Fuel pump ? 99% ?
Gas smell means the fuel pump is still sending fuel all the way to the combustion chamber. Seems like your problem is there is nothing to ignite the accumulated fuel...I would say crank position sensor, coils or ICMs.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zuffenhausen951
Gas smell means the fuel pump is still sending fuel all the way to the combustion chamber. Seems like your problem is there is nothing to ignite the accumulated fuel...I would say crank position sensor, coils or ICMs.
"Crank position sensor" (actually called the "engine speed sensor"), will cut off the fuel pump's voltage if it has any problem. A failed or wiring problem with the engine speed sensor will lead to no fuel at all...NOT flooding.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by KekePerkele
Hello, I just wanted to ask if your problem was also combined with strong smell of gas, or leak. My AR suddenly is taking longer to start, keeps cranking and cranking no problem, then finally starts, this was a sudden change in behavior. At the same time, our garage has strong fuel smell and even when AR parked outside you can smell gas.

Fuel pump ? 99% ?
Hi KekePerkele,
I just found your post from December 2013 about your AR taking longer to start and the smell of gas. What did you do to fix the issue, was it the fuel pump or something else?

I have what sounds like the same issue, but haven't been able to find a leak. Your post is the first that I've found with a similar issue description.

Also, if my AR is only used for a short time, say 15-30 minutes, the next time I start it starts immediately. It is only after longer drives that the hard starting and gas smell occur.

Thanks in advance for your feedback, any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated!
-blaszako
Old 01-22-2020, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by blaszako
Hi KekePerkele,
I just found your post from December 2013 about your AR taking longer to start and the smell of gas. What did you do to fix the issue, was it the fuel pump or something else?

I have what sounds like the same issue, but haven't been able to find a leak. Your post is the first that I've found with a similar issue description.

Also, if my AR is only used for a short time, say 15-30 minutes, the next time I start it starts immediately. It is only after longer drives that the hard starting and gas smell occur.

Thanks in advance for your feedback, any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated!
-blaszako
Hey guys, I’m having this exact issue. Has anybody found the source?
The fuel smell was my first symptom and when I popped my hood, I could see fumes coming from under the shroud on the right but was unable to locate the leak. Was also always able to start prior, although sometimes harder than others as others have mentioned above. These issues began once it got very cold out (10f)
Now, car is parked and will not start. Can get it to crank. Actually got it to kind of start after turning over dozens of times but it was really rough and not idling at normal RPMs and then choked out.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Parker Quinn Siems
The fuel smell was my first symptom and when I popped my hood, I could see fumes coming from under the shroud on the right but was unable to locate the leak. Was also always able to start prior, although sometimes harder than others as others have mentioned above. These issues began once it got very cold out (10f)
Now, car is parked and will not start. Can get it to crank. Actually got it to kind of start after turning over dozens of times but it was really rough and not idling at normal RPMs and then choked out.
As for the starting issue I just went thru same thing and found out it was my fuel filter.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default AR Fuel pump issues

Originally Posted by Parker Quinn Siems
Don't know about the fuel odors, but I've had two ARs exhibit hard starting symptoms and then fail to start until I replaced their fuel pumps.

Here's what I've used for replacement pumps:

It's a Delpho FGT0980