Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

4.2 VS 2.7

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.2 VS 2.7

So does anyone know when the 4.2 AR will be available in the US? From the specs I've seen the 4.2 won't be much faster than the 2.7 and it seems to me the 2.7 is much easier to upgrade (Turbos, chips etc.) I'd appreciate some experts shinning some light on these topics.

thank you,

Pete
Old 12-03-2002, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The 4.2 will go into production in February of next year...

making deliveries happen sometime in April.
Audi advertizes the 4.2's 0-60 as 6.9s, which is .4s faster than their claim for the 2.7t tiptronic.

While the 2.7t engine is very easy to add power to with a chip, it's not so easy to do it w/o jeapordizing the warranty. =) For those wishing to hide their modification, seems like getting a 2nd ECU for a 2003 car is rather difficult. I know neither APR nor MTM are able to provide ECU's to 2003 cars. This means we must go to the dealer, register the car's VIN with them, and pay for the new ECU as well as a core charge for the unreturned old ECU. If you don't mind forfeiting the turbo warranty, then it would be easy to just replace the chip in your factory ECU. If you do a search on this forum (and the A6 forum), you'll find many people are extremely happy with their chipped 2.7t engines - they wouldn't drive the car any other way.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 4.2 VS 2.7 -- why bother?

Not wishing to **** anyone off with a nit, I will say that I've read several "press release" type articles about the allroad 4.2. It will, potentially, be faster than a 2.7T. It will not be as QUICK however. And, the "fastness" difference will be completely moot in North America where top SPEED will be limited electronically.

A 6spd manual 2.7T will, if you believe mfgr's data, sprint from 0 - 100KPH in 6.8 seconds, whereas an automatic only (5spd tip) will take 6.9 seconds for the same trip. This is a revision, too -- all "earlier" pulished information pertaining to the allroad 4.2 indicated numbers above 7.0 seconds. Getting the number below 7 had to be an AoA priority, especially considering the premium price the 4.2 will command for: heated steering wheel, 18" wheels/tires and a power operated tilt/tele steering column.

I have owned 3 Audi's with the 4.2 engine. This engine is sooo sweet and sounds sooo nice -- especially under full throttle acceleration -- until the upcoming S4 [and A8], however, it just cannot be had with a manual transmission or a 6spd tip (the S4 will offer both).

At this point, if performance is important, it is possible to get an 03 allroad with all possible options (except auto trans), including the phone and aftermarket full paint and aftermarket upgraded tires and/or tires and wheels for just under $50K (assuming about a $3K+ discount from sticker).

Much as I loved my 2001 A6 4.2 w/sport package -- the allroad equipped as noted above with the 2.7T engine, is a more satisfying performer (excluding the sweet V8 sound, that is).

Perhaps the problems with the allroad 2.7T -- often noted here on Audiworld -- with a tiptronic make the 4.2 attractive. Yet, I cannot understand why anyone would spend another $5 or $6 or $7K more for the 4.2 when it will not perform significantly better than the 2.7T. Indeed, the 4.2, based on Audi's own published data, is not as quick as the 2.7T and they are in all other ways identical to each other (at least the A6 2.7T and 4.2 have different bodies and a different look -- bulging fenders, a somewhat more hunkered down (almost S6 look) etc, on the A6 4.2).

The heated steering wheel and the power adjustable steering column just aren't worth the up charge IMHO.

PS -- none of the above performance claims require a chip, a new turbo, cat back, bla bla bla -- put about $1500 into extras for the 2.7T (with or without tip) and another .3 - .6 second improvements are possible. I had this done on a 2000 TT and the dealer did the implementation -- never had any warranty problems either.

Oh by the way:

Finally, the rumor mill says 2004 is the end of the line for the allroad -- what are they thinking?

This car is fantastic -- despite my confusion about the 4.2 (in that it's performance is way too close to the 2.7T to justify the cost) -- why on earth bother with this option if you're gonna quit production?
Old 12-03-2002, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The sole purpose of the 4.2 is not 0-60 numbers...

and additionally, when you compare these numbers, you need to compare tip to tip, not to the 6-speed. For many people buying an allroad or similar vehicle, a 6-speed is NOT an option (whether it is available or not), so comparing the 4.2 to the 2.7T 6-speed is not relevant.

Besides, 0-60 times, the 4.2 offers additional amenities and additional options...it also offers a smooth, effortless engine vs a relatively buzzy engine that doesn't have the throaty growl of the 4.2 exhaust, but does have the higher pitched noise of the 2.7T engine. 0-60 times are virtually useless in everyday life. Who jumps off from a red light at full throttle, red-lining every gear? Why would someone who wants to drag buy an allroad? An allroad is heavy and it feels heavy...it does not "perform" like a performance vehicle...it performs outstandingly well for a SUV-like vehicle, but that is a different story. This is not an insult to the 2.7T allroad...it is awesome...and currently the finest of its type available...an awesome ski/beach/utility machine...

Now, is the 4.2 exhaust note, smoother engine, and additional standard and available niceties worth $6-8k??? That is up to the individual...perhaps not for some, perhaps definitely for others. It is not all about money...and one cannot equate isolated 0-60 times with MSRP. I, for one, would have purchased the 4.2 allroad 2 years ago if it had been offered, I had no interest in the 2.7T allroad...even if the 2.7T could beat the 4.2 by a full second or more, I would not care...there is just something about the feel and sound of the V8 that makes the 4.2 a viscerally pleasing car to me that far outweighs it's drag-capabilities.

Why bring the 4.2? Easy...cheap mod...extra $$$ per car for Audi, they developed the new design for the 4.2 engine for the new S4 anyway...why not use it in the allroad...no need to modify the front end...
I don't know if 2004 is the end of the allroad, it might be, but just because there will be a new A6 for 2005, that doesn't mean that the allroad based on the current A6 will disappear right away. First, they need a replacement (? the offroad?) and second, Audi does keep the old-body style of a specialty vehicle around, at times, longer than the main vehicle of the old-body (eg. former Cabriolet, S4, etc).
Old 12-03-2002, 09:07 AM
rcc

Default lack of info on comparative performance figures...

did a search looking for more comprehensive performance #'s (1/4 mi, 60-100, rolling start to 60, etc.) and found nada. I would think in a 0-60 performance comparison between the 2.7T tip and 4.2 tip, the 2.7 would suffer most in getting off the line (pre-turbo spool up), and given the ~0.2s disparity may even start out-accelerating the 4.2 towards 60. Wrong? I would hope that the +6-8k justifies more than just improved exhuast note (I actually think the 2.7T sounds pretty decent) and a few amenities.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default First look within yourself...

or Audiworld ;-). 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc, are listed for both the 2.7t and the 4.2 in the Model Guide.

And, the ar-4.2 is <b><i>faster</i></b> than the ar-2.7t. Comparing a tip to a 6-spd is rather useless... if trying to determine which (stock) engine performs better.

It seems quite simple:
a) If one likes to shift with a clutch, there is no choice but to get the 2.7t.
b) If one likes performance, and does not like to mod, there is no choice but the 4.2.
c) For all other preferences, one must trade off between options/price/power/prestige/etc.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:58 AM
rcc

Default even more confused

should have looked at the model guide. Anyway, why is it that the A6 2.7T is faster than the A6 4.2 (except in 1/4 mi), and the allroad 2.7T is slower than the allroad 4.2 (all tiptronic)? Is the 4.2 A6 a different engine than the 4.2 allroad?

A look at the A6 2.7T vs. 4.2 shows that both cars are within 0.1s of each other in all categories (tip-tip) but the 6-sp is significantly quicker than either (-0.6 to -0.7s to 60). If that carried over to allroad, your simple breakdown would turn into:
1. if you want a manual; 2.7T (only choice)
2. if you want performance; 2.7T manual
3. if you want the Tip; the choice between 2.7T and 4.2 is relatively performance-neutral, and more motivated by price/prestige/options/etc.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:08 AM

Default Re: First look within yourself...

In a word Torque. The 2.7 produces as much torque at 2000 rpm as the 4.2 does flat out, so the 2.7 is much quicker. But the higher rpm horsepower makes the 4.2 faster at 100 mph or higher. Not talking about mods, because that changes everything. I have driven an S6 which has the 340 horse engine. And my chipped allroad would smoke it to 100 with no problem, after that it becomes more interesting.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ok, this is what you get for your $6-8k "upgrade" to a 4.2...

Amenities and Standard Features:

--standard 18 inch wheels and high-performance 245/45 tires (4.2) vs. 17 inch with allroad 225/55 tires
--HP-2 4-pad front brakes (4.2) vs. FNRG 2-pad front brakes (2.7)
--ventilated rear brakes (4.2) vs. non-ventilated rear brakes (2.7)

--standard multi-function steering wheel (4.2) vs. optional in package (2.7)
--standard electrically adjustable tilt/telescoping steering wheel (4.2) vs. non-available in 2.7T (standard manual tilt/tele)
--available full-body color paint job (4.2) vs. unavailable (2.7T)

--standard Homelink (4.2) vs. optional in package (2.7)
--standard memory for drivers seat (4.2) vs. optional in package (2.7)
--standard "cricket" leather upholstery (4.2) vs. optional in package (2.7)
--available warm-weather package (solar sunroof, side window shades) (4.2) vs. unavailable (2.7)

--tiptronic standard, no manual available (4.2) vs. both transmissions available (2.7)

Engine:
--aluminum alloy, 300 HP, 280 lb-ft (4.2) vs. cast iron, 250 HP, 258 lb-ft (2.7)
--190 amp alternator (4.2) vs. 150 amp alternator (2.7) (whooppeeeee!)

Weight:
--4276 (4.2) vs. 4233 (2.7-tip)

"Performance":
--0-60: 6.9 (4.2) vs. 7.3 (2.7-tip)
--1/4 mi: 15.2 (4.2) vs. 15.6 (2.7-tip)

That's it, straight from Audi...is this worth $6-8k? That is up to you...and everyone else...I say "easy...yes".
Old 12-03-2002, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Torque numbers:

4.2: 280 from 2700-4600 rpm
2.7: 258 from 1850-3600 rpm

I don't have the torque curves here in front of me, so I don't know when the 4.2 crosses the 258 threshold...but I would assume (based on how steep these curves usually are in the low rpm range) that it would be somewhere around 2500 rpm...which if you are accelerating hard, the engine is most likely going to be higher than...more like in the 4000-5000 range where the 4.2 has an advantage...so I don't really see the advantage for the 2.7T except that it comes on at a slightly lower engine speed (which one would not be at if attempting to accelerate briskly).

Quick Reply: 4.2 VS 2.7