Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

after a week of wondering why my car is sliding in the snow, I've concluded it's the H-Sports...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default after a week of wondering why my car is sliding in the snow, I've concluded it's the H-Sports...

I recently noticed the rear end of my car is sliding around more than it used to. I can feel it drifting left to right, even on straight roads. I'm constantly compensating with the steering wheel, I don't remember this behavior in previous snow storms (this is my first winter with the H-Sports; on Hard)...

I think before the H-Sports when the car would hit a high or low spot on an uneven snowy road the suspension would soak it up, but with the H-sports the rear end is more tied together and now whole car tilts and then slides towards the low side. We have about 16" of snow in my neighborhood and this phenomenon is pretty pronounced, I'm sure my car tracked straighter in years past.

When I first noticed my car sliding I assumed it was my three winter old snow tires (probably a little over 50% tread left), so I embarrassingly bought brand new snow tires and my car feels the exact same, doh!

So, I'm assuming it must be the H-Sports. I may set them to soft this week and see if that helps....

If anyone wants to buy some 3 winter old Dunlop Graspic DS-2 Studless snow tires let me know :P
Old 12-22-2008, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to remember others saying the same thing.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:25 AM

Default dumb ?, but how do you change the settings?

I had mine installed by a tuner and didn't bother to watch them install it.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default only the rear is adjustable, but the rear is the most important imho.

you have to unbolt the ends of the rear bar from the end links and tilt the bar a bit and then re-install the endlink bolts. There are two holes in each end of the rear bar, one for hard, one for soft. if you do it make sure you have a flexing, ratcheting box wrench; 16mm or 5/8" will work too.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: It's the same when racing a car

Loosen the rear to gain grip proportionally rear to front.If the rear comes out in corners soften it, if the front pushes, soften it. Or the opposite to the other end of the car.

Maybe set the rear H-Sport to soft for winter and back for summer :-)
Old 12-22-2008, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A 16mm ratcheting wrench will save you about 30 minutes of turn/reseat/turn/reseat

ask RMcQ how he knows. P
Old 12-22-2008, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

rdar and gragravar recomended i get that wrench before I installed mine, i was sooo glad they did...
Old 12-22-2008, 02:31 PM

I'm putting a set on my christmas gift list
Old 12-22-2008, 08:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, set the rear sway to soft. Same thing on my A4.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:13 AM

Default mine did the same yesterday

took out the ar for a little holiday shopping. Really noticed how much the rear wants to or did slide around. Almost like rally and drift racing on strait streets.

Quick Reply: after a week of wondering why my car is sliding in the snow, I've concluded it's the H-Sports...