Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Air suspension work while engine is switched off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension work while engine is switched off?

Hi all, I bought an Audi allroad 4.2 at the auctions only to find out when it got delivered the car is a non starter.
Is it possible to raise the car on its air suspension when the engine is not running? as its currently on its bump stops.
I've tried searching for this simple question but to no avail.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

If all is working properly, the suspension should work with the ignition power on. Depending on why the vehicle does not start, (ECM issues) communication could cause it to not work.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Car will only rise it from bump stops in emergency inflation mode to L1 on a battery only. It won't inflate any further until either motor is started or you supply power directly to air suspension pump.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thejulex
Car will only rise it from bump stops in emergency inflation mode to L1 on a battery only. It won't inflate any further until either motor is started or you supply power directly to air suspension pump.
Mine must be wired different

I had the turbo inlet tubes off the car, and the nose sank to the bump stops. To get a jack under it, I needed to lift it without starting the engine. Ignition on, motor not running, it returned to level 3.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MrKid
Mine must be wired different

I had the turbo inlet tubes off the car, and the nose sank to the bump stops. To get a jack under it, I needed to lift it without starting the engine. Ignition on, motor not running, it returned to level 3.
Well I've replaced the battery and with the ignition on I can hear a pump running for a few minutes, then it stops, it sounds like a compressor pump rather than a fuel pump noise. But the car doesn't rise at all. The motor is a non starter due to what looks like a cracked piston. I noticed a lot of alarms going off when I put the new battery in, some of which didn't come on when I tried the second key. At the moment I'm thinking of selling the car as parts because I think the engine is not the only issue with this car, but I'm hesitant to breakup such a beautiful car. Is there anyway of testing the air suspension without the engine working?
Thanks
Old 09-29-2015, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

The pump is turning off because the thermal switch is shutting it down. You usually get about 2-3 minutes of run time in cooler weather, before it shuts off. (not sure of the weather near you) Your compressor piston is probably shot, so the pump cannot overcome the leaking bags. My front bags leak, but with the rebuilt pump, it will raise like new.
These cars seem to hold up cosmetically much better than mechanically. You will see many "beautiful" parts cars out there. You're looking at a rebuilt pump, new bags/coilovers, and an engine rebuild at the least. Probably bad turbos as well. You can pay triple the value of the car to get it running, or make triple what you paid parting it. You choice.

I need a rear hatch sunshade and rear seat pass through if you part it...
Old 09-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So its what I figured, I'm better of selling the car as parts.
Its a pity but at least I'm helping other owners keep their cars on the road. By the way I'm in Australia so postage of my parts to the majority of the people on this forum may make it not viable. But if anyone needs anything for a 2004 4.2L allroad with 145k klms i'll post a separate thread when I have decent photos of the car. Just keep an eye out for it in the next week or so.

Thanks all
Old 09-29-2015, 04:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

By the way here's what one of the pistons looks like. I cant tell yet if its valve failure or piston failure.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskkJMsVc
Old 10-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was able to raise the car to setting 1 after jacking the front up a little with jack. But i've decided to part car out. Checkout my "post" in the for sale section. Could be some bargains for the USA forums members due to the Australian / American dollar exchange rate at the moment. At the moment the whole car is available so get to me early, first in best dressed.

Thanks.