Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

allroad or S6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default allroad or S6?

OK, let's take purchase price and resale out of the equation, figure they both have around 70,000 miles, they are both out of warranty, and figure you can chip the 4.2 allroad for similar performance to the S6..... based on maintenance and repair $$ + irritation,and any other criteria, which is the better car to own, and why?
(also posted on A6/S6 forum).
Old 01-03-2009, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I got the allroad for the air suspension/auto leveling feature.....

I do my shopping for my business on my allroad. Lots of heavy loads which would sag the rear on any other vehicles. Otherwise I would opt for the S6.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:28 PM

Default Wrong question to ask +

it's not which is better; it's a question of what type of driving you will be doing.
If a little bit offroading (even pulling off to the side of a rough road) or battling 20cm deep snow, get the Allroad. If not, then it gets a bit muddier...get the other; at least you won't have to complain about leaky air bags......!
Old 01-03-2009, 05:30 PM

Default Very simply...how hard is it to get out of your driveway, where do you live? <answer inside>

a) I live on a cul de sac in a nice neighborhood where it never snows and if it does the street is magically plowed before I need to use it
b) I live in a large city where my car mostly stays in a garage where I pay an exorbitant price to NOT drive it
c) I live in a city/town (fill in the blank) where it never snows and doesn't rain much and the roads are well maintained
d) I live where you live...out in the country, off a two lane county highway (currently covered with black ice...see below, where the gravel at the end of the drive is usually covered with snow/ice from the county plows...when they see fit to plow, causing a four to six inch minimum "bump" to go over to get to said highway, I also have to go out to unpaved roads on occasion, sometimes for fun to the local winery (yes there are wineries here) and sometimes to get hay to the horses.

If you chose any of a through c above go knock yourself out with a great ride the S6...if you chose d you will wish you could have an S6 but you will know that it just wouldn't do everything you need AND get you out of the drive...that is all
Old 01-03-2009, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

What about the timing belt engine vs. timing chain engine?
Old 01-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Banned

Default See inside

The cars have different personalities.

The Allroad (all of this is my opinion) is more of a cool alternative to an SUV.....space inside, off-road capability, stance, etc. With the 4.2 or a worked 2.7T it's quick as well.

The S6 is a sports wagon, an S8 with a hatch. It's personality is more aggressive in stock form (and you won't chip a 4.2 to give it S6 power/feel), and its 18" wheels, firmer suspension, etc is more tuned to performance driving.

Bruce
Old 01-03-2009, 06:09 PM

Chain...belt...??... doesn't get you out of the driveway
Old 01-03-2009, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hi - happened to look here and saw this - I owned both for years

email me if you like, but Bruce (as usual) gave good insight. I have posted on this before if you search, but totally different characters between the cars even if they're both C5s. Steering, brakes, power, weight, suspension, seats and looks all differ. If you're the kind of person who does not notice if your tires are properly balanced or whether handling and ride change with different tire pressures, for two examples, maybe you don't care which. If you daily pay attention to whether your car's throttle responds differently when burning premium gas, if it makes more power on a cool, dry, dense-oxygen-air day compared to a hot and humid one, or if it gained a bit of steering response and tramlines less with those new summer performace tires you just put on, then consider S6.

Incidentally, this is a stray post. I went cold turkey when we left for our adoption trip without returning, and I visited today just to find the year end specs. Happy New Year Girlroad and everyone. J.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My thoughts on S6 v. AR

I would go with an S6 for the following reasons: No worries about the air bag suspension failing (and they do, my 04 has had both front). Second, the S6 is faster and lighter and I believe has the same interior volume. Third, the sports seats with the thigh extension are fantastic, the AR seats are comfy but not sporty.

Only issue is age, last S6 was an 02 (maybe 03) while you would be getting an 04 or 05 AR to get the 4.2
Old 01-04-2009, 06:03 AM

Default Hey <threadjack> glad to hear from you, been thinking about your family...

hope everyone is settling in and have a great and blessed New Year

Quick Reply: allroad or S6?