Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Anybody know if this air intake system really works?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody know if this air intake system really works?

I want to be prepared when my wife asks me what I want for Fathers Day. : - )<ul><li><a href="http://www.avalonmotorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/384">http://www.avalonmotorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/384</a</li></ul>
Old 06-09-2006, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not really....

Some might call this a "cold Air intake" system. We did some measurements with a pointer thermometer and the environmental temperature in this area is as hot as any other place in the engine bay (except around the Turbos of course ;-).

Actually, the Stock design with a RS4 Air Box and filter is way more efficient (and cooler in Temp) then this setup, IMHO - not worth the $$$....sorry..
Old 06-09-2006, 06:45 AM

Default just cut a big hole in the bottom of the box (called darin intake by the B5S4 guys)...

- AWE's K04 kit uses the stock intake with a big hole cut out of the bottom half of the airbox

- the B5 RS4 had a flap that would open at highspeed / high boost levels in the bottom half of the airbox (this is what cutting the hole in the box replicates)

- I am using the stock intake with the hole cut in the bottom of the stock airbox with an RS4 top of the air box mated to the bottom in order to fit a larger MAF and my S4 has 465whp (which is 250whp more than a stock allroad and 100whp more than my AWE K04 Allroad) and the stock intake is still fine

Summary
- don't waste your money
- your stock intake with a hole cut in the bottom of the box (search "darin intake")provides enough airflow for at least 500whp
- if you remove the airbox, you will just be sucking in hot air from the engine bay and your car will be slower not faster
- the only equivalent solution to the darin intake is a carbonfiber airbox protecting an open element filter (search for X1 Intake) - it was designed and built by Jon Delameter for the B5S4 and thus would not fit the Allroad
Old 06-09-2006, 07:13 AM

Default 2nd KO4/rs6 . My setup is Darin Intake w/ stock paper filter. The AUDI filter has more than twice

the filtration area of the next best filter. I don't use oiled gauze filters on anything of mine or any of my customers. They allow to much particulate blow through.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default keep in mind..the stock set up is fresh air from outside....

this set up is now using very hot air in the engine bay..
Turbos are not as happy with warmer air as they are with cooler air.