Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Arnott coil over conversion suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arnott coil over conversion suspension

Does anyone have experience with this set up? The air shock replacements seem to be troubling for many on this board. Wondering what the ride feels like on coil over shocks. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, nothing compares to the ride of a properly functioning air-ride system. But totally; they can certainly be troublesome, especially at this age. Most of the time it is just a front bag or the compressor that fails; neither are wallet busting if you go with Arnott.

That said, the coil-overs are pretty sporty and not bad of a ride at all if you don't crank them down too low. I 've been on a few conversions already with friend's cars. It's not hard to do but the cost and labor gets up there. Might as well find something like a nice C5 S6 avant tho if the air-ride is something you don't want to deal with.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by all(over)road
IMO, nothing compares to the ride of a properly functioning air-ride system. But totally; they can certainly be troublesome, especially at this age. Most of the time it is just a front bag or the compressor that fails; neither are wallet busting if you go with Arnott.

That said, the coil-overs are pretty sporty and not bad of a ride at all if you don't crank them down too low. I 've been on a few conversions already with friend's cars. It's not hard to do but the cost and labor gets up there. Might as well find something like a nice C5 S6 avant tho if the air-ride is something you don't want to deal with.
Arnott coilovers are non-adjustable, fixed. They give you a level 2 height approximately. Something that i have noticed with their setup is that the front will sit slightly higher than the rear. I would not want that look. There is an Allroad two blocks down from where i live that's been converted and that's how it sits.

Most people like how it drives. It is less floaty than air ride, more precise.

Also, do a search on this forum. You will also come across some issues with the coilovers, such as clunks. Rare, but happens.

2Bennet sells adjustable coilovers, but they are $2 grand.

You can also go a different route with fully adjustable coilovers made for the A6, but then you do require making custom spacers an adapters to make them fit your Allroad. Not cheap, but lots more options and fully adjustable. So you can adjust the back to be 1/2" higher than the front, for load and a more balanced look.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did the Arnott coil over install on my buddy's 2001 allroad.
I also own a 2001 allroad with the stock set up.
wasn't that hard to do.
Pinch bolts are a pita.
I ended up using a pair of vice grips and an air hammer to get the pinch bolts out.
Also IIRC I switched the orientation of the front lower shock bolt for installation ease,

Yes the Arnott's are non adjustable.
Yes it seemed to drive more precise.
It also sat a little lower than setting 2, and that was before any time to settle.
I parked them front to front to check.
Basically seems more sporty.
No clunks.
Bilstiens are very nice.

Beware of the rear speed sensors.
I broke the bolt off one and had to remove the entire rear hub and take it to a machine shop to get the bolt out.

I never thought i would like the Arnott set up but after doing it to my buds car I will seriously consider it when the time comes.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

here are a couple pics...
Attached Images   
Old 10-06-2013, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the feedback. Very helpful. Think I'm going to do the coil overs then.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dugzy33
I did the Arnott coil over install on my buddy's 2001 allroad.
I also own a 2001 allroad with the stock set up.
wasn't that hard to do.
Pinch bolts are a pita.
I ended up using a pair of vice grips and an air hammer to get the pinch bolts out.
Also IIRC I switched the orientation of the front lower shock bolt for installation ease,

Yes the Arnott's are non adjustable.
Yes it seemed to drive more precise.
It also sat a little lower than setting 2, and that was before any time to settle.
I parked them front to front to check.
Basically seems more sporty.
No clunks.
Bilstiens are very nice.

Beware of the rear speed sensors.
I broke the bolt off one and had to remove the entire rear hub and take it to a machine shop to get the bolt out.

I never thought i would like the Arnott set up but after doing it to my buds car I will seriously consider it when the time comes.
I can't find the post now - it was a couple years old - but the author stated he converted his allroad using sport springs from an A6 Avant. He loved it and claimed it was much less expensive than a conversion kit. Do you know anything about this?

Also, I've not seen any posts about this coilover kit: http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MGR2001-A
Old 10-14-2013, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by geoffreydean
I can't find the post now - it was a couple years old - but the author stated he converted his allroad using sport springs from an A6 Avant. He loved it and claimed it was much less expensive than a conversion kit. Do you know anything about this?

Also, I've not seen any posts about this coilover kit: http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MGR2001-A

Is this it?

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel41.shtml

The kit you have in the link looks ok to me, I think basically the only difference is that the shocks are not bilstien like the kit I installed.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm going with the Blau Parts coil-over conversion kit. It's at a local independent shop right now. http://www.blauparts.com/audi_allroa...rsion_kit.html

I'll report back if anyone's interested.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geoffreydean
I'm going with the Blau Parts coil-over conversion kit. It's at a local independent shop right now. http://www.blauparts.com/audi_allroa...rsion_kit.html

I'll report back if anyone's interested.
Please do report on the results and your impression.

Quick Reply: Arnott coil over conversion suspension