Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Audi Service tactics / warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Service tactics / warranty

Question for you smart people.

Just bough a -01 AR with 29K. Warranty expires 6/05. Bought the car knowing that it has serious brake problems. The question is: is it rust or just warped rotors etc. Service records show us that the car had it's 30K service in 9/03 and right before it was put for sale. Therefore we all know -service and me- that the car has been sitting on the dealer lot for 6-months.

Now, I know rusty brakes and this is some serious rust if that's the case. Running fingers through the disc I almost want to say that they are badly warped. BUT why would they ignore this when the car was in service just less than 300 miles ago.

Naturally, dealer servcie is saying rust so they don't have to fix it under warranty. I'd like to disagree, strongly. I am looking at $1700 for this all-4-corner-fix. Pads and rotors. I was hoping to put this money into tires and more.

Suggestions ?

Anyone ever call AofA to take it up with their customer relations ? Anything there ?
Old 07-16-2004, 07:58 AM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Default $1700 for pads and rotors??????

Seems like an AWEFUL lot for pads and rotors. I mean, like at least twice what it should cost.

In fact, just for giggles I googled Audi allroad rotors and found some at GreedSpeed.com "Zimmermann OEM Replacement Rotors-Sold in Pairs" for $130, slightly less than my cross drilled Zimmermans for my 528i. Pads should run in the $60-100 range for front or rears. In fact, for a mear $1900, you can upgrade to full Stoptech big brake kit from Zechhausen Racing.

So, my point is this - if Audi won't do it (and I don't see any reason at all why they shouldn't), then you can do it yourself quite reasonably.

Whatever you do, follow the bedding in instructions on the Zechhausen site.<ul><li><a href="http://www.zeckhausen.com/Audi/allroad.htm">allroad big brake kits by Zechhausen Racing</a></li></ul>
Old 07-16-2004, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: $1700 for pads and rotors??????

Unfortunately I already gave a go-ahead for this work to be done. AR is under surgery as I write this. I wish I knew this last night. Can you hear me crying. Interestingly, when I called prior I was quoted ~1200 in the phone, now it is suddenly $1700. Should I be calling HQ ?
Old 07-16-2004, 09:32 AM

Default $1700 is absurd for pads and rotors...

It takes me about 3 hours labor to do all 4 corners...
Old 07-16-2004, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: $1700 is absurd for pads and rotors...

How much have others paid for all 4 corners new rotors and pads ? At dealer that is.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CALL AoA at once.. they are screwing you royally.

Warranty state that if parts wear our ahead of service/maint schedule they ar considered warranty repairs.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:54 AM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Never had it done at the dealer - couldn't stomach their prices....EVER!
Old 07-16-2004, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Also get the sales manager at the dealer involved, mention

you wouldn't have purchased this execept you thought this would be fixed under warranty, also mention if it is not you won't be back for your next car.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default keke... I reread your original post.

you paid the dealer (non selling) for the pre purchase inspection. They said you had good brakes with 80% life in them. If the brakes need replacing.. they should replace them and not charge you as you bought the car under their guidance. I would get the service manager involved with this. I still think its something to be covered under AoA warranty in any event.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Also get the sales manager at the dealer involved, mention

I was thinking about making all possible formal complaints instead. I should've taken some pictures etc. Already talked with A0A and they would speak with the dealer about this. Meanwhile, in order for me to get the car out - I have to pay. So, I am stuck with trying to succesfully collect ...... let's see what all kind of scary tactics I can use with this one. At least the AR is now like new - tires. I am thinking about Hakkapeliitta's

Quick Reply: Audi Service tactics / warranty