Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Blinking Level Button and Suspension Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 04:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinking Level Button and Suspension Indicator

I have recently (last month or so) noticed that my 02 is dropping on front passenger side when left in level 1 position for any length of time. I am able to return things to normal when shifting to level 2 and have decided to leave it there realizing that a replacement is probably in order soon. My preference is to stay in 1 but fair trade-off for now.....However, on a recent trip skiing I noticed my car is dropping back to level 1 on highway (typically driving 65-75mph) and seemingly unable to hold level 2 - the arrows icon is flashing in dash along with level UP button then eventually goes off and remains in level 1 position. I believe there is a auto level feature that lowers car to 1 when moving 80 mph or higher??...I did catch myself hitting this speed occasionally perhaps that's it? - but why am I unable to return to level 2 below that speed? and if so why can it hold level 1 driving but not sitting? Weird...I am now parked in level 2. Prognosis?
Old 01-01-2010, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. The car is designed to lower itself at speed. You can not raise during the speed either. After you slow, it will raise back, provided yo have it set on L2 or L3.

2. If you car goes from L2 to L1 after you shut down and only 1 corner is lowering, then its likely that air spring has developed a leak.

You can try the "Green Slime" Repair. Search for the term to learn more.

Or you can replace the spring with Arnott Industries replacement stock air springs.

Just stay out of a dealer as they cost to much.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well no issue now...pulled car into garage after wash and heard definitive, loud hissing coming from right front air spring. I was not able to bring the spring back up eventhough compressor was doing its best. I guess my power wash cleaned out the leak and finished the deal! Given the loud noise I am guessing the "Green Slime Repair" would only slightly delay the inevitable.

Ok, few questions....I'm guessing a tow is in order (good to finally reap the rewards of AAA coverage)and now to parts decision time. I have read and received much reporting on replacement advice. It sounds like the Arnott is the defacto choice? Here are the options:

http://www.arnottinc.com/part_AUDI_A...17_pid124.html

What are the chances the others springs will fail soon? and the compressor? Here are my thoughts choices and please offer any feedback:

*1. Replace front set with the Gen II's (stands to reason the other front is next soon? and worry about getting a nice matching/balanced fit and performance/ride improvement) -- not really much more money for better value.

*2. Replace all and save some $$$ on complete set. However, adding much more labor than necessary in relation to return on value? I was thinking changing the rears would not offer much more in term of response improvements especially if not broken? I guess the only plus is security in predictive maintenance.

* according to Arnott I should replace front shock mounts when servicing shocks so would these also be included in purchased sets or kits?

3. Replace with Spring Conversion kit -- I have given this some serious thought...I have very little need for levels above 2 and this removes all future air spring and/or compressor failure headaches. Again labor will be increased but presents a compelling argument. I drive predominately in level 1 and was thinking it might even "tighten" up the ride further?

Yes, I know this "neuters" the Allroad but it is reversible and offers a resell buyer the chance to keep as is or switch back with brand new suspension parts (or re-install used stuff)?? Not that I intend to sell anytime soon with the weak resell values I am seeing.

Thanks for the input in advance.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

its all about how much are you comfortable spending?

How many miles are on the ride?

Over 80K and the stock shocks are toast anyway. They continue to work, just not as well as they should.

Arnott is the choice.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 02 AR is right at 90k. All shocks are toast or just fronts?
In addition my compressor is very loud and seemingly labors -- on it's way out too?

Like most I have a budget but value is important. I want to make the best repair decision that is needed/reasonable not just wanted. If I understand this repair correctly labor is station to station. With that said I would prefer to replace the fronts only - unless of course the backs are shot too. I wouldn't lose any labor savings by holding off, yes?? My preference is to convert but very costly especially on the heels of high expense season.

Obviously this is a great project and labor saver for a good diy'er - but this is beyond anything I want to tackle considering if something goes wrong I could screw things up royally or worse face injury. I must have recourse options on these types of repairs. I wish I was equipped to handle because the installation looks fairly straight forward.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I repalce my shock at 140K. My shop said they usually ar gone at 80K. I was so used to the ride, I never knew it.

You can certainly just do the fronts now and save some mone to do the rears later.

If you are going to convert to a coilover suspension then this need to be done all at once.
Go to arnottindustries.com and add up your costs for parts including the possibility of a new compressor. Labor should be 1 to 1.5 hours per wheel. And it make no sense not to do the shocks at the same time as there is no added labor cost.

Mine has 190K on on now and still pumps. I bit slow but we all have trouble breathing as we get old.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good input. I will place a call to Arnott tomorrow.
Please confirm something...shocks are part of the air spring and included in coilover kits?
Yes, we get used to something, adapt and don't miss what we don't have.
I have no doubt the ride would greatly improve with complete changes but need to be penny wise too. Since no labor savings I am leaning towards first option of Gen II's on front and hope the other stuff holds out for a while.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

A coil conversion will include shocks as they are a custom assembly mfg and adapted by Arnott.

Switching to Gen I or Gen II air springs is also fine to do. (I have gen I) The idea is to change the shocks at this time as the labor to do so is zero.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pardon my confusion but this is new territory for me...got it that the conversion includes shocks but the Gen II's do not - these are only air springs and shocks are addt'l? I agree that since the labor is already incurred for springs might as well replace the shocks too at this mileage.
But at another $900 approx. on top of air springs the conversion is looking more and more compelling.

Honestly, I simply liked the AR's looks, comfort and ride and didn't buy for the flexible offroad suspension. I found this feature to be just an added maintenance expense in the future -- not unlike an ice maker in a fridge. I've used it but only because it was there.

BTW, I went out started her and was able to get her lifted to level 3...still holding after nearly two hours? I haven't tried to lower back to 2 yet out of fear I may drop her again -- I have to get the kids around today and this oppty is a bonus. But I am confused more than ever as to the design of these things??? How can it leak like a sieve at lower levels and later fill back up to an even higher level??
Old 01-03-2010, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

some explanations.

The leaks generally occur within the folds of the air spring. Road debris gets trapped and rubs a tiny pin sized hole in the rubber. This hole only opens when at the given level that allows it to be "folded". When at other levels the effected rubber area is held straight thereby sealing the tiny hole. This is why you may loose air at L2 and not L3 or L1, etc.

If your are OK at L3 then stay there, keep in mind the system will lower the car to L2 at about 45 MPH for an extended period, then go back up when you slow for a time. This is the design.

If you have no use for the suspension then get either the coil and shock set up from arnott:

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...24_gid478.html

Or the coilover set up from 2bennet. This is a much more sport oriented set up as the coilovers are fully adjustable hense the higher cost.

http://2bennett.com/allroad_suspension.html

As far as just replacing the front air springs.

Gen 1

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...24_gid466.html

or Gen 2

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...24_gid529.html

depending on how you drive. In both air spring cases the shocks are separate items.

Arnott sells their Bilstein adapted shock or you can buy stock OEM shocks from the dealer.

Quick Reply: Blinking Level Button and Suspension Indicator