Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

can you test the aux water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default can you test the aux water pump?

Is there anyway to test the aux water pump?
Its not leaking or anything, just every so often I get coolant discharge out of the reservoir overflow after the engine is off. Engine temp is fine when running, no leaks, so I'd like to run a test on the aux pump to check if its working after the engine has stopped. I have the VCDS software if there is someway to trigger it.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is possible via VCDS (sorry I do not remember how).
However you might have the same situation like at mine car. The pump does not switch in (neither the after-run fan, they should run together) although it was brand new installed 4 years ago. I heard to run these only twice randomly, no guess, why / how. I noticed once I left the ignition key in and turned down to the first phase (so not until the positon for pulling it off)
So, I changed the thermo switches in the coolant lines, and VCDS says that everything is fine, incl the V293 box, too. My previous mech said in 2014 that the climate control box should send a signal to trigger it, but there is nothing about this in the ssp198 so it might be false. No guess on this.
All in all,
I do not have any coolant overflow but I alway after-run the engine and during the hottest summer days I return and kick in the engine after 5-10 minutes of standstill to circulate the a coolant a bit. Otherwise, the water temp gauge would go up until 100Celsius ( until first line to the right) that may not be very healthy. Basically, in my case if the oil temp gauge shows 100 celsius (or a bit below) you can stop the engine without the need of kick in the engine again.

ps. my systems were also able to be activated via vcds, but the symptoms as above.

If anybody has a solution, please share.

Last edited by PetrolBear; 04-09-2017 at 11:45 PM.