Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Dumb question -- what do you use to carry your ar key?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb question -- what do you use to carry your ar key?

I have to find a new solution ... any key carrier I use leaves the case dangling on my right leg when the ar key is in the ignition. For the most part I separate the ar key from the rest of my key case, but that opens me up to loosing the whole lot. Any suggestions?

thanks..

LCB
Old 06-29-2003, 04:51 AM

Default Rubber cord and toggle

You can get a key ring that's basically a 4-inch piece of rubber cord (for lack of a better word; it's not a tube, since it's solid instead of hollow). The two ends are held together by a toggle or cord-lock, made from metal. (Thing of the things you'd find holding the elastic cords on a North Face jacket, for example. Squeeze the ends to release tension on the cords....you get the idea).

I like this for two reasons:
1) it has very little mass of its own. Especially great if you (like me) have 2 audi's, and have to carry 2 of those monstrous keys.
2) you can snug it up and shorten the cord loop, so that there's very little slack, and the keys don't hit your thigh.

I got mine at an Apple computer dealer, but I know that I've seen them at my BMW dealer as well, and I'm sure you can find them other places. Or you could just go to your local outdoor equipment store and craft your own from shock cord and a plastic slide-lock.

(I'd take a picture, but I lost mine, and I haven't gotten a new one yet!)
Old 06-29-2003, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pocket?!? 8-)
Old 06-30-2003, 05:33 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default There's this thing....

...calld "the keyster" (thekeyster.com) that works like a pager holder. I've used one for about a year and it works pretty well and looks fine (once you take the goofy logo off).

You can't have any keys on your Audi key and I actually took off the little ring on the bottom.

Downside: The idea is kinda goofy, the logo is awful. You really need to use it with a belt (it'll work OK without a belt, but I wouldn't trust it). Wearing it towards the front may cause the key to pop out - I never had a key pop out once I figured that out and moved it to the side.

The instructions are for VW keys and wrong for removing the keyring.

All-in-all, it works great, is secure and makes the key easy to get to - even if you are carrying something