Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

ET 25 wheels on Allroad - Moda R10 18x8

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ET 25 wheels on Allroad - Moda R10 18x8

Acceptable w/o spacers? I think I have seen a couple of pics of people running this offset. Do they fill the wheel well or stick out too much? Ed, you need a website that has pics of all of your wheels IIRC, I remember reading about a set that used this offset, but can't find the image right now.

My wife found some Moda R10 18x8 et25 at tirerack and wanted to know what you all thought. She also likes BBS RD while I am a fan of the OEM S wheels.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have seen those also and thought they would look nice...

If tirerack says they will fit, they should fit. They do a fair amount of research up front before they will list it for sale on a particular vehicle.

They listed the weight as 36 lbs each at first - heeeavy - but they have since removed the data.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default In just got off of the phone w/ Tire Rack

Apparently they blank out when the discussion turns to spacers.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 things you have to consider- offset and caliper clearance.

The stock allroad wheel is 7.5" with a 25 offset. These wheels are 8" with same offset. So the 1/2" difference will be split evenly between the front and rear of the wheel. So the back of your wheel/tire will be about 1/4" closer to the strut. Will be very tight and will probably depend on the tire you choose.

Caliper clearance is the second issue. Don't know what year you have, but HP2 equipped allroads need a lot of room behind the spokes to clear the face of the calipers. That is not something you can gleen from the specs, it's purely a matter of design of the wheel. For this wheel, the best source is to call either Gary or Luke at TireRack and ask them. They may not know about an allroad, but the caliper clearance would be the same for an S4 or an A6 2.7T.

As for style, I prefer the BBS RD but then I tend to like a lot of wheels. And I don't need a website. Most of my Hartmann wheels are in Hartmann's new website gallery. That and the fact that I wouldn't have the smarts to figure out how to build a website.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks Ed...

My Allroad is a 2004. I am not sure about the calipers, though.

I like the way your B6 wheels fin in the wheel well and would like to duplicate that look if I can talk my wife into those wheels (it is her car).

Let me see if I understand the spacing issue. A 17x7.5 et25 has the same backspacing as a 17x8 et25. What is different is the .5 inch is then added to the outside rim. The distance from the inside rim to the hub surface is the same. That is why an 8 inch rim requires a 20 offset to fit our cars without spacers?

BTW, the website idea was so people like us can enjoy your wheel collection, too
Old 01-13-2006, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You may find that on hard turns...

You start to hear a rub...It is a possibility given the width plus the 5MM offset dif. You may want a 10MM HUBCENTRIC SPACER just to play it safe.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:28 AM

Default Not quite..(long reply sorry)....

First- if your car is an '04, you have the later calipers and not the HP2. My April build '02 was the beginning of the later calipers so you have the same thing I do.

Second- the B6 wheels are 18x8, et35 and I ran 20mm spacers to get that look and fit. So using that analogy, the Moda 18x8 et25 would still need a 10mm spacer, like Paul said.

Finally- offset is the measure of where the rear of the wheel mounting surface is related to the center line of the wheel. In other words, if the wheel was a zero offset, then the back of the mounting face would be perfectly centered in the wheel- 4" from the front and 4" from the back. a positive offset means that the mounting surface is 25mm outboard from the wheel centerline, thus shifting all measurements accordingly. So the Moda would be shifted inward relative to the hub.
But the backspacing is different on an 8" et25 wheel than it is on a 7.5 et 25 wheel. The et25 is relative to the overall width of a wheel. That's why the 8" wheel in your example requires the 20mm offset to maintain the same effective backspacing. So if the 25mm offset reains constant, then the extra 1/2" width is mathematically split evenly between the front and the rear. So 1/2 of 1/2= 1/4" which is roughly 6mm. Close to the 5mm difference between et25 and et20.

Regardless, it seems like these Modas are likely going to require a modest spacer to make them work anyway. TireRack dislikes spacers mainly because there is way too much room for error if not set up properly. And being as they're a mail order business, it iw difficult for them to be able to insure that every wheel/tire/spacer combination they sold was properly fitment on every car. But that doesn't mean sapcers are bad, it's just bad business for them.

Wish I could scan a picture in for you. I have drawings I've done for myself to calculate fitments, but it's on paper. A picture really helps explain. Could fax to you if that helps.

Where are you located? I may have to be in the South Bend, IN area next week and could see if the TireRack folks want to try one on my car while I'm in the area.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Some have said MODA wheels are too soft for the ar..
Old 01-13-2006, 07:29 AM

At 36 lbs, I'd hope they're not soft.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default do a search for Moda Soft

I cancelled moda wheels due to this..

Quick Reply: ET 25 wheels on Allroad - Moda R10 18x8