Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Final test on wiring for my custom multifunction 3-spoke TIP steering wheel a success

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final test on wiring for my custom multifunction 3-spoke TIP steering wheel a success

First TIP button set was radio channel. Second TIP button set was volume. Third button I tested was the R/T button which switches between radio and tel, which is why nothing happened when I pressed it. Fourth button was the tel/voice command button. All a success. This was tested on an 01 allroad with an RNS-E. Will it work on all C5's I dunno, but it should. I think I may make a test harness that people can use to test on their current MFSW to confirm that it all works, as I tested it with a MFSW control board from a D2 A8 MFSW and that didnt work, but the one in my allroad wheel did, so the MFSW control board and the MFSW relay probably have to work together already for it all to happen. The wiring and pinouts should all be the same for the little harness I made though

I did forget to test to see if the backlights on the TIP buttons work with my lights on and I am too lazy to go back out and try it since that isnt a deal breaker for me moving on with the project and final wheel construction...but it should work no problem.

What this means is that this style wheel can have all 6 MFSW buttons on it. 4 will be the TIP buttons and 2 will be on the back like pic # 2...and yes, this all fits inside of the sport steering wheel with very very little modifications

Name:  DSC_0956.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  1.51 MB

Name:  IMAG0167.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  1.91 MB
Old 10-25-2013, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the steering wheel controls on my B7 S4 so I was considering getting one for my allroad. However, my allroad doesn't have MFSW. My question is; would the wiring for MFSW be there anyway or am I getting into a situation where I would have to build a wiring harness all the way from the radio the the steering wheel?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check out this DIY...pretty detailed and may help some, but more importantly, the airbag from a B7 is a two stage airbag and the allroad is a single stage...I personally from a safety standpoint wouldnt take the change on your life or another persons life in hoping it does work as it should in an accident.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxj...it?usp=sharing
Old 10-25-2013, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow!
After reading that, I think I will stick with the original wheel and control the RNSE from the console.
Sometimes the end does not justify the means.
Anyway, I have to do the RNSE install first.
Thanks for responding, Rich.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Glad to help Mike. That has been the reason I havent done it myself. I remember this thread as that was all I needed to deter me:

http://audiforum.us/threads/audi-a3-...t-do-it.10870/

OK....so an update on the wheel project....

Tested again tonight and confirmed a couple things such as what connectors I will need to have on the control board to make it work and also confirm my pinout for the backlighting.

Here I am confirming these 2 items

Since I confirmed all worked, I started to construct the steering wheel itself even though plans are to order a new (lightly modified) B6 A4 wheel to use permanently. Here are some things I did so far.

Here is a spare control board I got from an allroad MFSW:

Name:  IMAG1022.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  779.0 KB

From my video test, I determined that I needed to only use the following 3 connectors:

Name:  IMAG1022_a.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  923.3 KB

Wanted to clean up the module, to took the dremel and used a cutoff wheel to do this:

Name:  IMAG1023.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  1.74 MB

Then I used some of the plastic I cutoff and an old solder iron to melt some plastic over the openings I wont be using, then sanded

Name:  IMAG1025.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  812.8 KB

Here is the back afterwards:

Name:  IMAG1029.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  823.1 KB

Then I cut down the pins I wouldnt be needing

Name:  IMAG1030.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  1.10 MB

I also sanded the base of the module to make it squeeze in the tight spot in the B6 wheel:

Name:  IMAG1031.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  999.9 KB

Name:  IMAG1032.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  883.8 KB

Before you put it into the wheel, there is a small foam part you need to trim or remove the the lower right corner (4-5 o clock)

Name:  IMAG1034.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  722.7 KB

Test fitting module placement:

Name:  IMAG1035.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  1.93 MB

Hooking up harness:

Name:  IMAG1037.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  1.96 MB

Basically all that is left is to solder the two buttons that are going to be pressure fit into the two airbag screw holes in the backside of the wheel and then swap it in and hook up grounds, airbag and 2 connectors to the control board. You do have to use two different airbag bolts to hold the airbag on now since the button backsides hit the larger headed
bolts that come standard. The bolts and buttons for the backside I used I got i will take pics of and post soon.

ENJOY