Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Full steel allroad specific engine and transmission skid plates. Anyone interested?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I want one for my A6 Avant! I've already destroyed 1 trans pan...
Old 11-14-2012, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
I want one for my A6 Avant! I've already destroyed 1 trans pan...
On it. Working on shipping costs and a couple other details now.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Lengthy post -

So, I was able to reach the company and found out some answers, but not all of them. The guy I talked to knew about your emails from the US, requesting information. Unfortunately, they only have one secretary that communicates in English, making things more sluggish.
Also, this company does not manufacture the plates, but they have the exclusive rights to distribute them.
1. Their original weight estimate is just that, a general estimate. They said that they don’t know the exact weight for each piece, and this is why they give a general estimate. Their plates weigh anywhere between 3 – 15 kg depending on the car manufacturer and type. The good news is that they will measure it precisely and give us an answer.
2. Fitment: 2.7T and 4.2 V8. The pans will fit the same type of chassis regardless the engine type. One minor problem that might occur is the location of the oil drainage door. They have a little opening built in for easy oil drainage, and the location for this might be different for the two engine types. If it doesn’t fit, the solution is to cut out a little piece from the pan, and install the additional oil drainage door that they will provide (included in the package).
3. Material: coated steel. Coating is black, some sort of rough powder type (I did not understand the technicalities). They never had problems with rusting (of course). . They don’t have it in aluminum, but they can ask the manufacturer if they will do it. That will imply different costs, and not sure if they would do that for only 15-20 pieces. Also structural resistance to impacts might not be as efficient.
Now, he also made a suggestion that was a little confusing to me, but maybe it can be done. He suggested that we print out the drawings of the pan fitment and compare those to the actual mounting points on the chassis. If we find anything that does not match, they can make adjustments to their manufacturing plans, and adapt to whatever we request.
The person I talked to suggested that we put all of our questions in email, with detailed descriptions of all of our concerns, so they can better answer them. Also it would be better to write it in Hungarian because everyone at the company will be able to understand them vs. only the secretary, and there will not be misinterpretations of what we actually want (I guess the guy trusts me more than his secretary?). Also we need to make sure that all the details are taken care of if we decide to submit an order.
So let’s put a list together of what you exactly want to find out, and I will translate it and send them an email. Let me know if this works for you, or if I can help in any other way.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Excellent! Thank you for all the legwork. I am thinking that the only issue with the 4.2 pan vs the 2.7T pan may be spacers will be required to drop the pan a tad which is easy to do here in the states. The aluminum idea after speaking with Scotty at Advanced made less sense and therefore the coated steel should be the way to go. Let me pass all this info on and see if we can get the ball rolling. I will report back soon
Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Great and all but have we not found anyone here in the states to manufacture at least one for fitment issues and begin to develop them?
I know in the Toyota Tacoma/4runner world, there are a bunch of guys who do just that.. build under body plates for crawling and such.
Maybe I'll have to check that out as well as time allows.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nope, Evolution Imports has been telling us they have been working on one for a year plus now and nada still. They sell aluminum engine pans only for cars and they are $275 for that.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ricam78
Nope, Evolution Imports has been telling us they have been working on one for a year plus now and nada still. They sell aluminum engine pans only for cars and they are $275 for that.
one word, "Supply and demand" .. We three, but you get it .. lol..
Seriously sucks Rich... Let me talk to some of these serious off-roader guys and see what I can find out... Your plan seems to have momentum and I don't want to jeopardize that, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask...
Old 11-17-2012, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by awdjunkies
one word, "Supply and demand" .. We three, but you get it .. lol..
Seriously sucks Rich... Let me talk to some of these serious off-roader guys and see what I can find out... Your plan seems to have momentum and I don't want to jeopardize that, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask...
Not at all man. See what you can find out. The interest is there from the allroaders. I truly dont need one since I am in South Texas and really never go anywhere off the paved road, but I was helping in doing some legwork for the other guys out there that need them. Good luck and keep us posted!!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ricam78
Not at all man. See what you can find out. The interest is there from the allroaders. I truly dont need one since I am in South Texas and really never go anywhere off the paved road, but I was helping in doing some legwork for the other guys out there that need them. Good luck and keep us posted!!
Cool thanks, I'll see what I can find out and report back...
Old 11-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I made my own out of 5mm thick Stainless bar.

Protects the engine very well and I can even jack the car up by the plate!

The plate is on this:

Quick Reply: Full steel allroad specific engine and transmission skid plates. Anyone interested?