Old 04-23-2003, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anybody hard wired an mp3 on a 03'? n/m
Old 04-24-2003, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Blitzsafe from Autotoys works with '03

The harness goes between the original harness and the radio (behind the radio, not in the rear of the car), and when you push the "CD" button twice, the radio shows "CDC" for CD changer.

The Blitzsafe functions correctly, but I was not initially impressed with the noise interference that I got. I don't know if it's caused by the Blitzsafe or my Rio Riot music being recorded at 96 kbps. I haven't taken time to experiment by recording the music at higher quality. It's on the ToDo list. The mp3's sound fine when played with the headphones (even the Bose noise cancellations ones!) so I leaning towards blaming the Blitzsafe. The sound quality is adequate at best in the car but only for long trips with my wife, not for crankin'.

Installation was easy once I had the correct tools to pull the radio. Don't screw around trying to make your own tools, just spend the $18 and buy the T10057 (http://www.samstagsales.com/vwaudi.htm#radio). It's amazing how easy the job is with the right tools!

I hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Blitzsafe from Autotoys works with '03

do you have a direct address for the part at autotys? Their website is soo confusing for non techies that I was never able to buy the damn adapter
Old 04-25-2003, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default AUDI (TYPE II) 1998+ AUX INPUT ADAPTER

Unfortunately, there website is set up so that you can't save/copy a particular address; it always brings you back to the store front.

Go to the "shop now" page, then click on "search". Do a search for "AUDI (TYPE II) 1998+ AUX INPUT ADAPTER" and you should only get 1 find. This is what I used with the Bose radio and it worked fine.

It looks like you could order the radio removal tools from Autotoys, but the picture only shows two tools, and it's alot easier with 4, which is included in the set I mentioned before. Both items came quickly from each place.

By the way, you have to ground the Blitzsafe. I took the glove box and front cover off (screws) and found a stud to secure the ground wire to. Remember that the studs are Metric threads; don't go jamming an SAE nut onto it!

I ran the RCA connectors out from the Blitzsafe to the bottom right side of the radio area; near the passenger foot duct. The cord wasn't too long, and my MP3 player didn't have RCA connectors, so I bought a cable (Best Buy or Radio Shack) to plug into the RCA which then ends in 1 connector that plugs into the headphone port of the MP3 player. It's long enough that I can hide it in the glove box when not in use.

Despite the length of this message, it's all very easy once you have the right tools and parts:
1. Radio removal tools (4)
2. Blitzsafe
3. Metric nut
4. Phillips screwdriver
5. Flashlight
6. RCA to headphone jack extension/conversion cord.
7. Something for your wife to do which keeps her busy enough so that she doesn't come into the garage and freak out when she sees the brand new car with less than 500 miles "ripped apart". It will save you a lot of explaining to the question of "why do you need to change anything on this car? It's brand new!"

Trust me on #7!
Old 04-25-2003, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AUDI (TYPE II) 1998+ AUX INPUT ADAPTER

Thank you for the info
Old 04-25-2003, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: AUDI (TYPE II) 1998+ AUX INPUT ADAPTER

Great info, thank you!

So this will work on a 03' with the dash changer.
Reason I clarify is I had read people hardwireing a TT but it had a changer they worked with. Since the new allroad has a changer built into the radio, I thought there was no way.

Even at 128 the file is less than a cd.

Try burning your own at a higher rate and should sound better.

It would be nice even if the car co.s had mp3 encoding on these units, we could load mp3 cd-roms and have 60 hours on 6 discs. At least it plays cd-r's!

Just press the cd button twice?
Old 04-25-2003, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default At 192, the frequency response approximates a CDs up to about 17kH...

at which frequency most adults can't hear anything...
Old 04-25-2003, 08:32 AM

Will all these be true fora n 02 as well?
Old 04-25-2003, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah.. except in '02 you have a choice of using the input behind the CD player...

or the CD changer connector in the trunk (different adaptor).

Not sure if you'd have to remove the CD changer input behind the head unit on an 02, if you decide to wire the Blitzsafe from there.