Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Hate my Goodyears...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hate my Goodyears...

My 2002 AR has about 8k miles, and I'm totally fed up with the stock Goodyar rubber. It squeals unacceptably, and emits a load growl during low-speed (~25mph) turns. I was goign to wait until they wore out, but am ready to ditch them ASAP.

Anyone else hate these tires as much as I do?

</end rant>
Old 09-03-2002, 09:35 AM

Default Hate the car

actually i hate the whole car, so the tires get lumped in too i guess.

had a flat this weekend, and the laughable experience of several pages in the handbook to explain how too pump the spare up with the cheapo (included) compressor - which overheated twice. thats right: this car has space for a full size spare but audi managed not to find it. then of course it has these goodyear f1 allroad tires which are unavailable except from audi, so i had to wait through a holiday weekend and beg a spot at the dealer to get it replaced.

lets see:
- squealy 'one of a kind' tires on dirt collecting double spoke wheels
- overlight no-feedback, noisy steering. (oh yeah - pull the solenoid. great!)
- majorly clunky tiptronic transmission in auto mode (truly the worst i have encountered) - though shifting it manually is rather good.
- consistent turbo lag that leaves you embarassed when pulling away at a junction, then surging off like a jet ski.
- pathetic ergonomics (e.g. no illumination on the door opener control, useless cupholders, joke radio controls, and on and on)
- cheap materials wherever audi thinks you are not looking (what is with the green plastic boxes from FW Woolworth in the back?), and a 3rd seat that is so badly engineered you wonder how far of an afterthought it was.

sure it might scamper over a few rough trails (but on snow and unmade roads it is exactly as competent as an AWD minivan), but who would go far into the bush with delicate tires that are unobtainable - and lacking a spare?

good news is that leasing it at those low rates last year has left audi holding the bag on the depreciation - i see blue book has the trade in at $33k for a 2001, over 30% gone in just one year...

oops. is this the wrong forum for these comments? let rip.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:56 AM

Default I love the car. (Just hate the tires)

The 2002's steering is much better, and I have a 6-speed manual, that avoids your ****ing and tranny lag issues.

Sorry about your experience.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:57 AM

Default With all due respect, did you even test drive the car (m)

before you bought it? Many of the problems you cite could have easily been discovered during a test drive or even by sitting in the car.

And for the record, many of these issues have been addressed in the 2002 models and Audi is recognized throughout the industry as the benchmark for interior design and materials.

Also, you chose the split-spoke wheels OPTION and you can't really expect the third seat in a car this size to be useful - that's why it will no longer be an option in 2003.

Sorry you don't like the car...better luck next time.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:23 AM

Replaced at 25,000 to Michelin sports- It's now a greater car!
Old 09-03-2002, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Hate & Love the car

Hey guys it's the ugly truth for a number of us on this great forum and the many that don't even know this exists that Audi has some real quality control problems with suppliers and the manufacturing methods they employ.

1. Recall on fuel tank sender that was a recall long before the AR was even built.
2. Wiper recall that damaged my blades and hood.
3. TCM replacement that did nothing to abate the stalling, hesitation, surging, wobble, and acceleration delay.
4. GROANING steering rack that evidently requires major undercarrage/tranny surgery and who knows cause I can't even get a service manager from University to return calls he promises to do weeks later.
5. Brakes that squeal so loudly neighbors and pedestrians point and laugh and now rooters that are warped and surge at high speed deceleration.

...not to mention the simple little things that this trailblazing non-SUV SUV should have been equipped with like mud flaps, a compass, hood light, delayed & auto headlights, etc.

My sales manager at University has been helpful spec'n out a 2002 replacement but the price diff is just too high just to get a car that MAYBE has these many problems fixed.

Sorry, I love the design, look, interior, and idea, it's just that the execution is purely VW with a little GM thrown in.

2001 green/green tip/most options 11k miles
Old 09-03-2002, 10:28 AM

Default Re: With all due respect, did you even test drive the car (m)

fair comment - yes i did test drive a couple of times, though clearly did not put the auto mode thru its pace sufficiently - it is tremendous fun with the tip. in manual tip mode the clunks and surges are absent. the spare tire issue was really not expected though. and the material quality is really not even - eg retaining strap for 3rd seat pull apart, plastic pieces under seat and tool box etc are brittle - and unseen.

that said for $540/mth it was a good deal, and looks tremendous in the alpaca beige. the seats are very comfortable and supportive. but lousy cupholders in a cruising vehicle? come on - i mean i accept having no cupholders in my boxster, but this is a wagon...

the car just seems to fall short on engineering the simple useability stuff... eg the tool box mount is a joy the way is clamps in place - yet the reverse mode for the mirror only works with the switch in a certain position - huh? and not to obsess on cupholders but why does the middle one need to crush foam coffee cups?

thank you for you polite response, it was more tempered than my post...
Old 09-03-2002, 10:45 AM

Default Cool, that's why were here...for the details (m) EDITED

sounds like you were just frustrated with some "nuances" and obviously the compressor. That does totally suck...I've only used it for bike tires myself.

I hardly use the cupholders, but the other day, I had an iced coffee that of course wouldn't fit in the console cupholder...so I had to put it in the dash one and drink fast so it wouldn't drip on the radio!

Look on the bright side...good thing it was a lease!
Old 09-03-2002, 12:13 PM

BMW's mirrors work the same way -- IMHO the tilt down is annoying anyway.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:16 PM

The tilt rocks when you have to back downhill next to a 1' high wall to park your car =)

Quick Reply: Hate my Goodyears...