Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

How to identify the source of a suspension air leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to identify the source of a suspension air leak?

Hi All,

I have a 2003 Allroad and I believe that I have a leak in the air suspension. However, I'm not exactly sure where the leak is, and I'm hoping the audi ninjas in this forum can help me out

Below is a description of the symptoms.

1) Currently the front of my audi is setting at level 1 or lower. When I turn the vehicle on, the level 1 light begins to flash and I think that the airbag is trying to fill up. However, after a little while, the light stops blinking and when I push the "level up" button, nothing happens. If I turn the vehicle off and then start it again, the level 1 light will blink and try to fill up the bag again.

2) From time to time the front air suspension will raise and will hold at level 2 or 3 for 1/2 a day before the front end lowers again to level 1 or lower, and then repeat the symptoms mentioned above.

3) When I turn the car on, I can hear the air compressor in the rear trying to inflate the bags. However, I can't hear an air compressor in the front (and I'm not sure if there is a compressor in the front) turn on.

Based on this information, do you think that the leak is in the bag, the lines, or do you think the air compressor needs to be rebuilt/replaced? Is there a process that I can go through to determine where the leak is/ which parts need to be replaced?

Thanks for any help you can offer, it is sincerely appreciated!

Pat
Old 10-23-2013, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There's only one compressor, and it's in the rear.
Spray soapy water on the air springs and look for bubbles. It should be quite obvious where the leak is using this method. Buy aftermarket air springs from Arnott.

You likely also have a tired compressor if it's been working hard trying to fill up a leaky air spring. You can buy a rebuild kit for the air spring on ebay for around $50 and make it good as new. The rebuild kit supplies a new plastic piston ring that should improve the performance of the compressor.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to spray the soapy water with the suspension at level 1 as this is the most common level that a leak shows itself. You may need to remove the wheel and then jack up the hub to load the suspension and compress the air spring.

Like was said above your compressor is likely worn out and needs to be rebuilt. Not a hard job at all.

Here's my DIY compressor rebuild thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ressor+rebuild
Old 10-23-2013, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the advice sb_gli & G0to60. I'll pop off my wheels this weekend and try to identify the location of the leak. I was thinking about rebuilding the compressor, and after your advice I'll definitely be purchasing the rebuild kit.

One quick question. When the Allroad is started, does it try to fill all the suspension bags at once, or does it fill the rear first, then the front, or vise versa?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will fill the rear first and then the front when raising the suspension. When lowering it will do the reverse. Front first then rear.