Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

I always fall in love with the wrong one

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I always fall in love with the wrong one

I have never posted to any discussion groups before, so I am probably not "doing it right" but here goes...I have always been a big car geek, even for a girl, and so have known that historically you could not use "Audi and reliable" in a sentence, but nevertheless I fell in love with an '01 Highland green allroad over a year ago and just had to bring it home. I think I told my husband it followed me home, just like the pets. I bought it with miles left on the factory warranty and from my very reliable local Pontiac dealer, don't laugh, I knew that it would be a good clean one or his Dad wouldn't have let HIM bring it home? It is way too much fun to drive but it seems to have a relationship of its own with the local Audi dealers. Most of the work has been under warranty, first the original and now the extended that I purchased, but (as my family has always known) my time is obviously worth nothing. I most recently picked it up from a five day stay while both catalytic converters were replaced and the back lift gate cylinder (it was supposed to take ONE day) but they did loan me a cool new A4 quattro (not an allroad though...no power up hill, down hill, on the straight...). I guess my long winded questions are: first do any women actually own these? If they do must they be married to an Audi mechanic or independently wealthy? I would love to own this car forever, or at least to 100k, but doing so without going broke would be the preference. I drove a Honda Accord to 250,000 miles with only gas and oil but it wasn't nearly this much fun and I wouldn't have been able to handle the snow and ice on the nights when it's me and all the rest have 18 wheels. Is it just a crap shoot or are there any telltale signs to know if you have one that will go the distance...crystal ball anyone? Thanks for putting up with the babble. p.s. for the old geeks out there I also brought home a Renault Fuego a million years ago...lemon anyone?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Plenty of women own ar's. "Mine" is really my wife's car, I have an A4. I think quite a few of the

guys here are in the same boat.

As for ownership, quite a few of us are over 100K and going strong. It's not a Honda though, for <u>all</u> the various reasons you brought up.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:20 AM

Default Re: I bought our AR for my wife. I wanted it, but since I have a company

car-she gets it. I agree with the hit/miss reliability. I was very leary of buying the AR for that reason. I have 38k and owned if for under 8 months and its been in the shop 4 times. Audi seems to fit the phrase diminishing return on investment. I hope mine makes it to the 100k mark as well, but I am sure at that point it won't have much resale value. Unless my opinion changes during ownership, I will be back to the reliable Honda/Acura after this one. I don't have the time, money or patience to deal with frequent visits to the dealer.

My brother was crazy enough to buy a Renault Encore, not once, but twice!
Old 01-12-2006, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default See my sig! Welcome and be glad you have the extended service plan

I have tips on saving money on those for others who care. Best to buy one still in 4/50 to mitigate risk, too.

By the way, allroad replaced a New Beetle. Fuego - oh my, I remember how those looked and drove, and my buddy had an Alliance with the 1.4. Ugh.
J.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I love my ar.. my wife does not..

although...she loves the 'Chip Effect' in third gear.

she really loves her a4 cab.. who wouldn't?

However, while my car has had major issues prior to 50,000 miles, since then it has been virtually problem free. I'm now at 87,000 and other than normal maintanance I've had no mechanical probelms to speak of.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:44 AM

Default The allroad is my wife's (she loves it), the urS6 is mine (I love it).

I also enjoy driving the allroad.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Welcome to the forum...our allroad is mine, although I'm currently negotiating

with the wife to get rid of her Yukon and drive the ar...so far, no luck. Selfishly, I'd like to switch to an S4 at some point, but I can't fathom getting rid of the ar...hence the negotiations.

I see plenty of women driving allroads around here...NY/CT...far more than men.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Welcome from another Highland Green!

although I've only had my AR for a couple weeks it's been great. I did have an A4 since it was new in 01 and it was a very reliable car. I sold it with 76k on the clock and most of it's life it ran an XChip and TipChip.

Other may be able to correct me, but if your car is an 01 you shouldn't have any of the factory warranty left, as you've run out of time before the mileage. Mine is still under 50k, but the time ran out 1 month before I bought it.

Did you happen to find one with the green interior?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:00 AM

Default Re: Welcome to the forum...our allroad is mine, although I'm currently negotiating

Tell your wife I had driven large SUV's for years before the allroad (Blazer, two Suburbans) and I really love the allroad. It drives BIG and it really sticks to the road. The newer Suburban felt more like a station wagon/minivan, with no feel for the road, than this allroad does. Just some "sales pitches" that might work. I also like the back for running errands and putting briefcase/laptop bags in back when parking is tight. Also easier to park, especially with backup sonar (my children think I will never be able to drive without this option again Thanks to everyone for the comments. I have an extended warranty that will take me to 86,000 miles, which is about another year. By then I either have to find one with fewer miles to trade for or find something comparable, which I now think is impossible once driving this, as I have driven almost everything out there. I also have a line on a small auto shop that works on Audis and other German makes and so that may help as my local dealership doesn't seem to have the expertise to work on this car as it always takes them longer than they say. I also am really sold on the xenon headlights as I live in an outlying area and do a great deal of night driving.
Once again thanks for the info and I really enjoy reading all of the cool stuff you allroad geeks (I too am a geek and it, in my opinion, is way cooler than being a nerd are doing to your cars.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Most women own them to drive into other cars with

Maybe yours is a little more problematic than most. Mine is 32k and zero trips to the dealer for problems. Oh, well, one grab handle replaced and an alignment. Other than that it's been tires and oil. Highland Green is the best color, and it's a great car. Buy a different one with CPO. '02 has a heated steering wheel, too. You can retrofit Nav plus and have th' sink!

Quick Reply: I always fall in love with the wrong one