Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

I think I have a Lemon!! PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I have a Lemon!! PLEASE HELP

Well where should i start... I really dig my allroad although, i have had it since the 2
and of may and it has been in the shop on 5 different occasions.

1) The first time was ok (1500 mi),
i just chalked it up to the new car bug, it went in
for a bad relay for the air pump and a coolant leak. 3 days in the shop (elec)/engine

2) The second time a little bummed (3000 mi)
The same coolant leak and the headliner had to be replaced due to a cracked
sunroof surround I had a water stain the size of monterey bay. 10 days in the shop (engine/structual)

3) number three very bummed (3500 mi)
blowing fuses like they were popcorn 2 days in the shop "said it was the vanity
mirror on the drivers side" never used IM BALD. (elec)

4) number four PISSED (3800 mi)
never use the nav system and i was at a restaurant down the street from my office
and wanted to see how it would take me back and the switch was broken. took
the car in and found yet another wiring problem in the seat harness. 2 days in the
shop (elec)

5) number five just about ready to cry (4300 mi)
car will not start have to have it towed dealership accuses me of working on the
car and messing with it. They state " that it was just a loose wire on the positive
side of the battery" i checked the batt and it had NO loose wires. 2 days in the
shop (elec)

I have contacted aoa and they basically laugh at my situation. Please let me know if
this is normal for audi or for the allroad.

thanks
Old 08-10-2002, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nothing here qualifys for CA lemon law.

But I recall something about a car being in the shop over 30 days (your 5 days shy), but not sure if that is a single stay or over a period of ownership?

Check on the web for CA lemon law, or do a search here on Audiworld under S4, lots of talk about that

Tory
Old 08-10-2002, 06:49 PM

Default You might want to start talking to an attorney...

to see what your options are. From your discriptions it doesn't seem like your car qualifies yet for the lemon law. Most lemon laws state that your car needs to be in the shop for 30 business days or been in the shop 4 times for the same problem. I can feel your pain, as my allroad has been in the shop for over 40 days now in the past 14 months, for an electrical problem involving bad fuel pump relays. The problem is still unresolved. Its now on its fifth time in the shop for the problem. I have also had numerous other problems(2 bad radios, 2 oil leaks, repeated wobble, bald tires after 15000 miles). Shouldn't be hard to prove since it qualifies under both total days and times in shop. AoA has been involved for a while now but they seem uncooperative, but the dealer has been helpful thus far. Don't count on them to resolve the issue. Love the car, but hopefully we will see a resolution in the near future.

Good Luck

J
Old 08-11-2002, 09:32 AM
dpd

Default Re: I think I have a Lemon!! PLEASE HELP

unfortunately,yes.the vanity light short is common for the a6/allroad.when they build the car they put the sunvisor screw through the harness.the coolant leak is also common.be it from water tube o-rings to the auxilary waterpump to the engine waterpump.the sunroof leak is rare,they had some early cars leak through the roof rack rails.the nav switch breaking is normal,the seat harness has also been around since 98 and for the no start,if the dealer asked for all your keys the immobilizer probably went out.i wouldn't say the car is a lemon,but quality and factory support is below standards[especially for the germans]
Old 08-11-2002, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: check your state...

I'm not 100% sure, but I think each state has different rules when it comes to Lemon laws. Def. look into it. Also, Pennsylvania has some sort of free counsel that specializes in trouble cars. They must get their $$$ from someone, but it doesn't come from you. Lastly, contact your local BBB. I've had amazing results going through them. I had a problem with a John Deere tractor, as far as the financing company was concerned. One call to the BBB and i got a positive call back from the VP of JD. How's that for service!?
Old 08-12-2002, 01:37 PM
TCK

Just had a friend with a VW Jetta with the same type of situation. She has qualified in the state of Washington for lemon law ruling. Her Jetta was in the shop on 6 different occasions over a period of 4 months totalling over 30 business days. The dealer was not very cooperative but VW was. She ended up getting VW to buy back the car and she is now starting all over. Not sure if she'll go back to VW even though she loves the car.

Is your problem common with Audi's? I'm considering an Allroad but after hearing your situation as well as my friends Jetta I'm not so sure. Love the Allroad though...
Old 08-12-2002, 06:25 PM

My Friend had his S4 replaced after he had an oil leak that they couldn't fix. It was replaced under the lemon law here in NC. You may want to post your question over on the S4 forum, as I am sure he could give you some insight, although CA. may have different laws. The big problem is Audi (as well as most Auto Companies) only gives their Service Dept. very small times to try and correct the problem. Before (in the old days) the service manager could give the car to a tech and tell him to fix it (no matter what) and take up the cost with AoA, and what they couldn't get back they would write off as training dollars but like I said they don't do that any more. Most problems are to be diagnosed within 30 to 50 min. by most standards and I know with some electrical problems you could spend a good day trying to diagnose the problem. Hope that gives you something to go on, and I am sorry to here your having problems with your AR. Please update us as to what the dealership and AoA do to help you. Although talking to an attorney would be prudent. - Best of Luck
Old 08-20-2002, 11:53 PM

Default I know how you feel, and the sooner you get rid of it the better you will feel

Buyback
Lemon Law
Or trade for a different Audi Model with a better reputation.