Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

If I disconnect the battery...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If I disconnect the battery...

what exactly happens in this technological nightmare besides the radio lockout...

I wanted to check some connections on the ABS, and the Steering Angle, and don't want to have even more codes as a result... or some weird immobilization mode that is unbeknownst to me appear.

Also, if I disconnect and reconnect, can I clear the codes that currently are there and subbornly will not disappear... I'd like my ABS and ESP back for a trip this weekend, and don't have time to fix everything now...
Old 06-28-2006, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: If I disconnect the battery...

YMMV, I have disconnected mine a number of times and never had any side effects (not even radio) except you have to reset the auto windows which is as easy as clicking them once.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Same -- no problems

my suspension re-leveled but that was it. No radio key required, no other issues.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks...
Old 06-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default have radio code handy - speaking from experience.

With my 2000 S4 and 1999 A6, I have had different results with pulling the battery at different times. Sometimes the radio needs to be unlocked and sometimes it doesn't. Good to have it on hand, just in case. Otherwise, it's possible that if you can't clear the codes with the Vag-Com that disconnecting the battery won't clear them either. This was the case with my ride height adaptation error. Until it was actually "completed" there was no way to get rid of the codes. Let us know what happens. j.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also plan on a throttle adaptation.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FYI..clearing the code is temporary if the cause is still there.

you cna clear a code and within minutes it will be back...the code...like a CEL is a 'symptom' that allers us to a problem. Without fixing the problem...you get the idea.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default to clarify... I'm disconnecting battery to check connections and...

Pull ABS Control Module Plug and reconnect, as well as pull wheel sensors and clean, and maybe even check the Steering angle sensor if I feel like pulling the wheel off.

The point being, if anything is noticed as being disconnected or reconnection solves it, cool, if not, maybe resetting the computer will fix it... if not, I still have the same problems and CEL issues.

The coincedence of pulling my wheels and adding new wheels/tires/spacers and then putting it into lift mode twice, and then 402'ing and having the codes show up the next day... is too great... I can't help but think that when the left front airbag lowered itself and slammed, that something on the back of the driver's side wheel was jarred loose... causing the lights to fire up.

The only thing else I can think off, is that I Spray Painted the calipers when the wheels were pulled, and maybe something clogged up a connection there as well... thoughts???

I JUST BOUGHT THE CAR, and haven't had two days of carefree driving yet... not good.