Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

I'm almost convinced there is something wrong with my ESP system...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm almost convinced there is something wrong with my ESP system...

02 allroad with a tip in level 4, brand new Ipikes, esp off, going up a very easy grade-less than 5% for only 20 feet in reverse, approach with at least 10 mph and I get stuck in the super wet sloppy snow that is no longer sticking to the road surface so it is moving all over the place.

As I started to slow I gave it more throttle and more abs kicked in shutting down power to the wheels that were slipping. All four were slipping! How does this thing get out of a slippery spot if the traction control activates the abs to the slipping wheel and stops any progress? I don't get it. Honestly there must be something wrong with my system. I've cleaned the abs sensor rings, i've cleaned the abs sensors so those aren't the culprit. I've been driving for more than 20 years in all kinds of cars, all kinds of weather so I'd like to think I know how to drive in many situations. Any ideas from the allroad braintrust?

I'd be tempted to unplug the susp module if it were easy to get to, locked the car in level three or four and allowed for less ESP system.

This is an honest question. If all four wheels are slipping and therefore abs is acting on each wheel to send the power to the wheel that is not slipping then doesn't the car just stop? I can't figure it out.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default well here's your problem

<ul><li><a href="http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/27/seattles-plow-crews-not-trying-to-clear-snow-from-roads-by-desi/">Seattle</a></li></ul>
Old 12-28-2008, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes, aren't we a green city:) It's funny isn't it. The politics of bring "green"..

Is gonna make this city even harder to do any kind of business in.

Speaking of city politics, did you know any deep frier in a resturaunt in the Seattle city limits is using city mandated oil that's not as bad for the public's health. I guess I'm too stupid to make the choice myself and NOT eat fried food if I want to live longer and be healthier. I need mayor quimby, i mean nickels to make that choice for me. Thanks goodness I'm college educated so I can recognize when the mayor really cares for me and my health;P

Anyway, is there something wrong with my ESP or what? I think the system is way overbearing but I will certainly argue that snow tires make all the difference. As an example though, the guy who shot the video a few posts down and was sliding his allroad around in the snow, how'd he do that? After one tail slide my system is busy abs'ing and shutting down power no matter how much throttle I give it. I think I need a recode.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you tip or stick?
Old 12-28-2008, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Tip wishing I was 6 speed
Old 12-28-2008, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There is nothing wrong with your system. You may try other stuff to manipulate it, though.

You have to consider the way this car works to make it work for you.

ESP on. Constant throttle 3,000 to 4,000 RPM. Let the systems sort it out. Why?

1. This car has no 'lock.' It will never dig its way out with electronics active. Without electronics, you will never get more than one wheel in the front and one wheel in the back going. It will be the 2 without traction.

2. Spinning wheels have less traction, not more in most situations. Low lock seems to be what you are looking for. It's not here.

3. In the powerband, the car can de-throttle and still have power.

The best way to work this car is to trust the systems. In the worst of conditions, Use ESP on, constant throttle in the power range. The systems do the rest. If the car comes to a rest, you have done all you can on that surface. Dig with a shovel, and start again. The Torsen can send power front &amp; rear, but the front &amp; rear diffs are open.
If you can find out what they did to get the Audi up the ski ramp, there may be some secret there.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sounds like yer ESP isn't shutting off.

With ESP off, I can mash the throttle and make 4-wheel spins all day long (on ice &amp; snow). And do donuts in empty, snowy parking lots.

With ESP off, the EDL will still use the ABS to control differential traction, but I don't think it should ever cut the throttle. I think it only cuts throttle when ESP is on.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I found if you go s l o w through this stuff the ESP will work for you.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for the tips and advice. I'm still gonna go shovel my driveway...

But I'm also gonna try and do donuts without the system killing my fun. I'll see what happens
Old 12-28-2008, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If "all 4 wheels are slipping" than what else can you expect the car to do?

you are limited by traction between tire and road.

And to repost something I posted a little while ago - ESP encompasses EDL and ASR as well as the ESP function to control oversteer/understeer. This portion of ESP isn't really doing anything in this situation. It is the EDL that is braking the spinning wheels and it should help as this is the only way to overcome the open differentials (side to side)

From Bentley:

<i>

Electronic Stabilization Program (ESP) Bosch 5.3
The Electronic Stabilization Program (ESP) is designed to stabilize the dynamic handling response of the vehicle by counteracting any tendency toward oversteer or understeer.

ESP is an expanded version of the existing on-board safety systems ABS/EDL and ABS/EDL/ASR.

ESP enhances the degree of control in critical dynamic conditions, i.e. when the driver approaches the handling limits of the vehicle. Compared with the existing safety systems, ESP further reduces the risk of skidding and improves handling.

However, ESP is not able to overcome the physical limits of the available road adhesion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01-141

ESP, function

ESP incorporates the functions of electronic brake force distribution, ABS, EDL and ASR. The individual elements of the system are as follows:

If required, the ASR and ESP control functions can be switched off and then on again by means of the ASR/ESP push-button switch in the center console. This switch is overridden when the driver presses the brake pedal: ESP will remain active at all times during braking. Both functions, ASR and ESP, will be reactivated automatically the next time the ignition is switched on.

The condition of the ASR/ESP switch can be verified using the function 08 "Read Measuring Value Block" Page 01-186 , Display Group 2.

When the system is deactivated, the ASR/ESP warning light comes on in the instrument cluster. The warning light flashes at rate of three times per second when the control function starts working.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01-142

Electronic brake force distribution

The brake system is split diagonally into two hydraulic circuits: one supplying the left front and right rear brakes and one supplying the right front and left rear brakes.

The ABS control module (w/EDL) -J104- is programmed with specially designed software for electronic brake force distribution, which takes over the function of the mechanical or hydraulic brake pressure limiter.

01-143

In cases where a failure of the ABS has occurred, but the electronic brake force distribution function can still be maintained by a back-up feature, the signal sent to the instrument cluster is pulsed. The instrument cluster distinguishes between three conditions: no signal present, pulsed signal, and continuous signal present. The ABS/EDL warning light and the brake system warning symbol come on in accordance with the signal received.

1 - Terminal 15
2 - Signal for activation of ABS/EDL warning light and brake system warning symbol
3 - Supply voltage for ABS/EDL warning light
4 - Supply voltage for brake system warning symbol

01-144

A - During phase "A" (after ignition is switched on) the ABS/EDL warning light is activated for two seconds during the self-test by means of signal "2", and comes on. During this phase an internal function in the instrument cluster suppresses the activation of the brake system warning symbol.
B - During phase "B", signal "2" is not present. The ABS/EDL warning light and brake system warning symbol do not come on.
C - In phase "C", On Board Diagnostic (OBD) has detected a malfunction which does not cause the electronic brake force distribution function to be switched off. Signal "2" is pulsed. Only the ABS/EDL warning light comes on.
D - In phase "D", On Board Diagnostic (OBD) has detected a malfunction which causes the electronic brake force distribution function to be switched off. Signal "2" is present continuously. Both the ABS/EDL warning light and brake system warning symbol come on.

01-145

If the brake system warning symbol comes on, this indicates that the electronic brake force distribution function is out of action. If the vehicle has to be driven in this condition, extra caution is required; Page 01-16 , Road testing.

For further information on the activation of the warning lights in connection with the electronic brake force distribution function; Page 01-158 Table of warning light functions.

ABS:

The anti-lock brake system (ABS) prevents the wheels from locking when the brakes are applied by the driver. It controls the brake pressure applied to the individual wheel brake cylinders according to the rate of acceleration and retardation at the wheels (which depend on the amount of wheel slip) in such a way that the wheels can develop maximum road adhesion and thus the best possible braking effect.

01-146

EDL:

The electronic differential lock (EDL) is an aid when driving away from a standstill. An electronically controlled brake application on the spinning driven wheel provides a torque reaction point for the differential. This enables the wheel with better traction to make use of the engine power. The EDL is effective in both forward and reverse directions.

On vehicles with all wheel drive, EDL acts on all four wheels; a mechanical differential lock is not required.

In conjunction with ESP, the EDL is active at all speeds.

01-147

ASR:

The traction control function (ASR) requires an exchange of signals between ABS control module (w/EDL) -J104-, the engine control module and the transmission control module (automatics only), in other words a communication link between the control modules.

These signals are transmitted via CAN-Bus Page 01-24 .

The ASR traction control system prevents the driven wheels from spinning under acceleration: the system operates by reducing engine torque and is active at all speeds. The EDL and ASR functions act together to assist acceleration.

01-148

ESP

The electronic stabilization program (ESP) is designed to stabilize the dynamic handling response of the vehicle by counteracting any tendency toward oversteer or understeer. The familiar functions of electronic brake force distribution, ABS, EDL and ASR (traction control) are incorporated in the system, but the characteristic function of the ESP is a controlled brake application at individual wheels.

Examples:

In an oversteer condition the tail of the vehicle breaks out, and the vehicle rotates further about its vertical axis (rotational movement) than is required to maintain course through the corner. The system counteracts this excessive movement by applying a controlled braking force at the outside front wheel.

01-149

In an understeer condition the front end of the vehicle does not follow the required cornering radius, and breaks away toward the outside of the corner. The vehicle does not rotate far enough about its vertical axis to maintain course through the corner. The system increases the amount of rotation by applying a controlled braking force at the inside rear wheel.

With the exception of the new components described below, the locations of the system components are the same as with the Bosch 5.3 system. The procedures for removing and installing components are described in

</i>

Quick Reply: I'm almost convinced there is something wrong with my ESP system...