Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Oil Consumption - Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Consumption - Advice Please

Over the last 12 months, my Allroad has consumed approximately 4.5-5 litres of Castrol synthetic oil. Concerned I have spoken to the dealership on several occassions and they confirm for me that this is normal ge that the divers manual states .5l per 1,000Klm s is acceptable. The delaer says this is a little bit above average, but nothing to be concerned about. I have requested an oil consumption test, agreed to be the delear ship. Irrespective of thecoutcome of the test, the dealer advises me that nothing can be dome with this problem.

If this is normal for a 2.7T engine, thats fine, I dont mind topping the oil up, I just dont want it to lead to other major problems down track.

Advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Old 04-22-2005, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Oil Consumption - Advice Please

I forgot to mention that over the 12 month period I did 15,000 Klms.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:45 AM

Default How many miles during the past 12 months? Time is only half the factor to calculate, mileage is.

You could have driven 1200 miles or 12k miles, that would make all the difference. The ar I'm driving is hardly using any oil, 4k frequent oil changes with an oil level check every 500 miles have not shown significant usage of oil. 1/3ltr goes in every 2K miles driven, thats it.

But maybe others have different experiences, lets find out.
Does your car leak? Put a piece of card board under the car overnight to catch even the smallest drip.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:49 AM

Default Re: How many miles during the past 12 months? Time is only half the factor to calculate, mileage is.

Further information;

15,000 klms ver the 12month period
good solid driving through the rev range, nothing over the top!
No leaks, no mechanical issues
Old 04-22-2005, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I put in less than a quart per 5000 miles.. 2.7T with tip, cityand highway driving
Old 04-22-2005, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Blue exhaust?

You either leak it or burn it. Blue exhaust? You might try a compression check of the cylinders. Most posts I've seen here talk of leaks. Clean the engine well and keep a close eye on possible leaks. I think although it may be "acceptable" losses according to the dealer it isn't "normal".
Old 04-22-2005, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Blue exhaust?

A silly question - What will the compression test conclude?

And if its not a leak is this problem repairable?

Appreciate your feedback.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Compression check.

You remove a spark plug, screw in a hose connected to a gauge that measures how much the engine compresses the air & fuel. If the compression is low it means it is leaking out. Usually on a high mileage engine when the piston rings or valve seals are worn the air leaks by. You can also suck oil in from around the valve stems. I don't know how you tell where the oil comes or goes from this test (rings versus valves) but I'm sure smart folks will help you out. I do know that you measure all the cylinders and compare the values. If they all are normal I'd guess that means the fault lies elsewhere.

If it is the valves, you pull the heads and get a "valve job". Check to make sure you don't have warped heads while you are at it. It is possible to have oil leak into your coolant (or coolant into your oil) but by looking at your oil or coolant it is pretty obvious as it looks like chocolate milk. If it is the pistons, you get new piston rings, maybe bore out the cylinders. I'm almost certain you must remove the engine from the car to do the pistons. It isn't cheap if you have to pay.

You might try the search feature of the forum to find out where most people have found leaks. Usually just a new gasket will solve the problem which is fairly cheap. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Compression check.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll let you know what happens.

Mike
Old 04-22-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Re: How many miles during the past 12 months? Time is only half the factor to calculate, mileage is.

So every 3000km (1865miles) you'll need to add 1ltr/1.05quart which is pretty much one hole comercial bottle of oil.
That is way too much IMHO.
Even though the dealer tells you that the consumption is within limits, and let's say your car is burning/losing some of it, the chances are high that it may partially reside in the catalytic converter and throughout in the system.
Because if you don't see any then it has to go somewhere.

Follow "happy allroader's" advise and have it pressure checked first before taking other steps.
Meanwhile I would clean the engine as much as possible and monitor to capture even the smallest event.

And just curious...what oil are you using? Anything different for Summer or Winter time?

Sorry about all these questions....

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption - Advice Please