Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Question on wheel alignments--

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on wheel alignments--

About 3 weeks ago I went for a wheel alignment after I put on my new summer wheels and tires.
The wheel/tire are upsized to 18's. I had this size before, but this time I got new rubbers (Dunlop Sport Maxx).

Right after the wheel alignment I felt that the steering center had a little more play than before, but everything else seems fine. I been driving it for about 3 weeks and it's start to bother me cause now I don't feel the car is as agile as before. My turn-ins are slower and it's just doesn't seem as shape as before (stock wheel/tire).

Anyways, I brought my allroad back to the alignment place and the tech (without even looking at the car) saids the steering effects has nothing to do with the wheel alignment. It's all about the drive shaft and other components that tires to the steering wheel that causes the effects. Well at this point I have no knowledgeable responds to that and left.

This place has the latest equipment for alignments, but I think the tech is a rockie.
Anyone here could shed some light to this effect?

TIA
Old 05-02-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Difficult to say, the tires have more effect on the feel than the alignment, assuming it was done

correctly. The only adjustments on the front of the allroad, is the toe. VAgueness, poor turnin and response are almost always tire related. If the alignment is WAY off it would be squirrely
Old 05-02-2007, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I can attest to tire effects, but also that bad alignments can mess up a good thing.

They should back the service, so ask the manager to have another tech confirm it's in spec on a day the rookie is off? Or go to a different location - what I do for rebalance when tire balance at one store was bad.
On the other hand, tires really play with steering feel. It's not clear if your tire change happened before or with the alignment, and if the former whether the the feel was good with the new rubber at first.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To add to PzKW's comments....

Crisp turn-in is often dialed into a race car by adding toe out to the front end. Street cars generally use a bit of toe in. So your car may have been out of alignment with toe out before it was reset to factory specs.

Don't forget to factor in the fact that new tires tend to feel greasy for 500+ miles until they get scrubbed in.