Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Questions Re: Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions Re: Power Loss

Less than two weeks ago, I upgraded my 2.7t with GIAC stage I programming. For the first few days I was absolutely blown away by the power, but I soon began noticing the juice dropping off a bit. I figured part of it was me just getting used to the added pick-up, but I was getting concerned.

Fast forward to Saturday, I blow three coilpacks. I don't get the car back from the dealer until this afternoon and when I do, the power just isn't where it should be. I was used to the torque explosion between 2500 and 3500 RPM, but it just wasn't there. The engine just smoothly revs, without power surge that put a smile on my face only a week earlier. The car feels faster than stock, but is lacking the raw power it had before.

The engine itself is making more noise and the driver-side turbo seems to be whistling more. Part of this may be due to the fact that today was about 20 degrees cooler than all the other driving days I've enjoyed since stage I. My experience with my old chipped 1.8t (with boost gauge) was cooler weather = more noise and less boost.

It feels like I may have a boost leak, but I have no way of really measuring it. Where are leaks common? What should I look for? Also: I have yet to upgrade my DVs or TBB since chipping. Could a tear/failure in one of those components cause the power loss? Could I have a TBB tear without a CEL? If my DV's are bad, would they "honk" or give me some other clue? Could my trip to the dealer have anything to do with all this? Should I take my Allroad back to my chip tuner for support, maybe reinstall the software?

After tasting the explosive low-end grunt and meaty mid-range power for just a few days, I NEED it back! Badly!

Thanks in advance,
Old 04-28-2008, 08:56 PM

Default You need a VAG, seriously. If you are already familiar with Audi then you know this tool is

mandatory and usually pays off within a short period of time. There is not telling if the misfires continue or what might cause them.

For now check the bottom of the TBB and feel your way around it if you suspect a boost leak. They tend to break close to the clamp.

It is also advisable to get a cheap mechanical boost gauge, it takes a minute to plug it in and just throw it on the dash to monitor vacuum/boost. They run about 25 bucks at Pep Boys plus a 50 cent T-connector and you got game.

But only your GIAC tuner will be able to determine if someone "mystified" your Software.....**** happens, unfortunately.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default back to the tuner...let them keep you in shape.

when the CPs went I would have gone there first.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Boost leak? Check the under side of the tbb....

torn tbb's will make a woooshing sound that may or may not be mistaken as turbo noise.

Also, you can pressure test the system. Go to AWE's website and look for their pressure tester. I think they give a parts list to make one, you can go to any home store and pic up the parts.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: back to the tuner...let them keep you in shape.

I definitely would have taken it my indy/tuner for CPs if they were 20 miles closer. I'm headed there right now to have'em take a look.

Are there specific scan blocks (blocks, does that sound right?) they should be looking at? Like requested boost, etc?

They probably know exactly what to check, but I'd like to arm myself with the most knowledge before schlepping out there with no appointment.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2008, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default CPs at the dealer....>$50.00

Miles to Indy: 20

Cost of CPs at indy <$50.00

Indy knowlege: priceless.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default But the indy didn't give me a loaner...

I tend to use an indy shop and/or a friend with a VAGCOM whenever possible, but neither were convenient last weekend. I didn't want to drive with three bad coils when my local stealership is less than a mile away and provides me with a loaner car.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default good point...CPs are 100% DIY if you have a VAG..

and know which cyl(s) is/are bad. They take about 2 minutes each to change plus a few minutes to take the shroud off the engine.

I now keep a spare in my rear comparment. Bought from Riverside Audi for $24.00 each.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default No VAG...yet

I assumed only one CP was bad so I systematically moved a new coil to each cylinder, one at a time. Since I had no way of knowing three were bad, it was SOL. I see a VAGCOM in my near future.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Edit: Even less power than before

I upgraded my DVs and the car is slower than ever.
N75 is my next suspect.