Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Replacing the allroad

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the allroad

I am looking for a replacement for my 2003 allroad. I am wanting something with better fuel economy. I think I've decided to get a sedan. The search has been narrowed to a 2006 BMW 530xi, or a 2006/2007 Audi A6. I drove a new Acura RDX, it's a "cute" CUV, but the MPG ratings are not much better than the allroad and it is not an Audi or a BMW. Audi is making a big mistake not bringing the C6 allroad to the states. The Q7 just doesn't do anything for me. If I am missing a logical replacement let me know!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Volvo V70?

I was just shopping before settling on a 2005 Allroad. I was impressed with the Volvo V70s, almost pulled the trigger on one. Yes, they are wagons and you said sedan, but the V70s ran on regular gas and got 21 city and 28 highway mpg with a still fairly peppy engine. The one I was looking at was a 2005 that had the turbo engine, about 205 hp, had about 35k miles on it, was CPO'd, so was good for another 3 years and 65k miles and was stickered at $24k. So, quite a bit cheaper than a comparable Allroad or A6 avant, better fuel economy, etc... Not sure how much the mileage would go down on the V70 AWD versions (cross country?), with an increase in price. I was also impressed with the interiors of the cars and the seats were very comfortable. Had I allowed the more practical side to win over I would have bought one, but wasn't ready to give up on Audis just yet.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Go for the BMW

I've also been looking at a few different cars, not sure if I'd make the switch since I didn't see much that got my juices flowing you know. I looked at all the dealers over a weekend. There were a few cars that were interesting (GMC Acadia for exapmle) though once I saw the inside of many of them I said no thanks. I even checked out the 08' Subaru WRX STI which was priced at $39K (you gotta be kidding me). The problem I have is similar to what I think alot of allroad owners have. We're spoiled!

The allroad has one the best interiors around and has plenty of bells and whistles (isn't all cheap, basic, and plastic looking). It can pretty much go anywhere (most other automobiles can't). And the fuel economy of other brands isn't better by any stretch.

I didn't look at any BMW's but if I had to trade for something that I saw that weekend my picks would have been the 08' Volvo Cross Countires (very nice, but equal to what I have so there's no point trading; very nice though). The other car was a SAAB 95 Aero (fully loaded) for like $38K. Also a very nice ride.

Kinda made me wonder what the hell was wrong with Subaru; asking $39K for an 08' WRX STI? Apples and oranges I know, but clearly the SAAB 95 Aero, is a heck of a lot more car for the money.

One of the salesman at a Toyota dealership even commented that everything on their lot would be a step down from the allroad. As if I didn't know that.

So at the end of the day, I decided I'll stay where I am for now, there's not much out there that would compare to the allroad, and I'd miss it if I traded. I think the way to go is trade the allroad for a newer allroad (05' model) or make a lateral move (Volvo XC, BMW 530ix, etc).

I'd like to get 30mpg on the highway but not if it means I'll be cruising in a Ford Focus.

Phil
Old 03-30-2008, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Volvo V70; makes a good choice also, make mine an 'R' version please.

I've liked the Volvo joints since mid 90's, loved that Burnt Orange color they did some yrs back, plenty of go fast parts as well from Ipd. I only ever cared for the SQUARE body styles, the 'toaster' looking ones. Hard to find the right one (R or T5), or I'd be driving one now.

Phil
Old 03-30-2008, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Are the MPG ratings for the A6 or 530xi really much better than the allroad ?

I've come to the conclusion no mid-size awd car with the performance I find acceptable will ever get good MPG, in that regard the allroad really isn't that bad. To get good performance with decent gas milage you really need to look at a smaller car. I could never drive an SUV the handling is just to poor.

And despite the usual outcry, diesels wont be the answer either until we see a significant drop in diesel fuel prices, they are over 50 cents more per gallon than regular in this area.

In other words I have no suggestions. :P
Old 03-30-2008, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our '07 A6 Avant Got 27 on the highway. Not bad for such a heavy car.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I had a '97 855R - very good car, but I got tired of it not being a stick - you know they no longer

make the R's ....
Old 03-31-2008, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

on the diesel, you are paying 50 cents more for practically double the mileage in most cases.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Test drove 05 A6 3.2 this weekend

It averaged 28.8 on the computer all highway, while on the allroad I have never seen over 21-22 on the computer. We also drove a BMW 530 last week, and after driving the A6 my wife said simply, "I feel more at home in the A6". I think I prefer the BMW it just handles better. The salesman at dealership indicated that he's gotten over 30 mpg on the BMWs. Don't know if I believe that!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My '05 A6 3.2

Got my A6 new in May, 2005 after an '02 2.7t, and now have about 44k miles on it. The difference in highway gas mileage was staggering, particularly at speed. The FSI technology and 6 speed allow this car to get much better fuel economy than I thought possible and (with the 21 gallon tank) regular, repeatible 500 mile plus range between fill-ups when traveling. I don't have a clue about the BMW's mileage, but the A6 is very efficient.

Mine comes off lease in a couple of months, and I will be replacing it with an '08, same powerplant.

Quick Reply: Replacing the allroad