Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Sad story on the way to work

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad story on the way to work

I'm driving to work this morning, and at a stop sign, I notice a small puddle of oil. Extending from it is a long, inch-wide line of oil, which I follow for 4-5 miles. Up ahead, I see a white A4 sedan with a distraught middle-aged woman standing on the shoulder talking on her cell phone. I stopped to help, already knowing what has happened. I know that if my wife were stranded, I'd want someone to help her, too. It's just what I do.

When I open the hood, there is no sign of oil topside, and none beyond a slight drip coming from somewhere under the pan. I couldn't diagnose where it was coming from, but from the quantity and the fact that it was far worse when the engine was running, I'm guessing the oil line to the turbo (it was a 2.0) let go, or maybe something with the filter. I dump a spare quart of Mobil 1 that I always carry into the filler and it doesn't run out, so I'm almost certain that it isn't the oil plug. Just out of curiosity, I ask her to crank it. Nothing. I hear the solenoid clicking and the starter humming like it's trying to turn, but the engine is frozen solid and totally DOA. She hopefully asked me if I could "fix" it so it would get her to work, and I told her I was sorry, but there was just no way that would happen. I offered to sit with her until the tow truck arrived and/or give her a ride, but she said her husband was on his way. Apparently, he's "mechanical" she said. I told her I would stick around until he showed up.

So the husband pulls up about 15 minutes later (beige Camry = not "mechanical"). I try to explain to him what has happened and what my theory was. When I told him that I poured some oil into it and he saw the Mobil 1 bottle, he went ballistic and said that was probably why the engine would no longer turn over. "Mobil 1 destroys the seals!" he cried, as if the stuff were acid or something. OK, sure--that's why the factory uses it.

He demanded my information because he was sure that my oil and I were the cause of the problem. Getting a little testy, I pointed to the 4-mile long trail of oil on the road and said that this obviously took a while to happen, certainly not because of 1 quart of oil in an already frozen motor. I said hoped it was the oil line so it might be under warranty, but if not, it'll be expensive. "For you," he said, pointing his finger. Jackass.

At that point, I said something a little less kind than, "Good luck, dummy," and got in the car and drove away without giving him even my first name. Fortunately my car doesn't have a front plate, so I don't even think he got that (not that I would worry about responsibility, but it might turn into a headache if he really wanted a fight). Also, I got a big oil smudge on the thigh of my suit trousers. Good thing I have a meeting with the owner of my company this afternoon.

Next time, I'm going to leave the lady in the stranded car to fend for herself.

PS: Dude, that Mobil 1 is expensive stuff. Maybe I should have asked him for the $6 bucks it cost me to dump it into her ruined car. Feh.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

The exent of a-holeishness in people is amazing.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:52 AM
Banned

Default Ohmygod.You should be proud for helping & also for not flattening the "mechanical" husband

Would have been funny too, while he was moaning over her car and how you killed it, run back to his Camry, pull the hood release, and quickly dump a quart of Mobil 1 in there too.

Then drive away while laughing like an evil mad scientist.

Bruce
Old 04-10-2008, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Man -- what a douche!

wife probably wanted to get in car with you and drive off.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Now THAT's funny, Bruce.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I guess that's why my ar only has 190,000 on it and went "Dam Mobil One"

Good karma for you...

Mark.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You still did the right thing, regardless of how the Jackass acted

maybe Mr. Mechanical somehow screwed up an oil change on his own. I'm sure the woman appreciated your efforts.

I'm guessing this guy put the wrong oil filter on when he did it on his own.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:24 AM

Default Don't change because of one A-hole. I'd like to believe he's a rare exception...

I would hope someone like you would stop for my wife if she was stranded. He's obviously clueless. Don't let the actions of one real ******* influence your good intentions in the future. Hopefully he'll realize that you were just trying to help.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd, you showed a lot of restraint. I might have shoved him in the ditch. Misinformed asshat!

No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you're a better man than I... guess his ignorance is bliss

Quick Reply: Sad story on the way to work