Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Survey Question: How many have had Air Spring problems - and what were they?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Survey Question: How many have had Air Spring problems - and what were they?

I've narrowed down my current problem to be that the front drivers side air spring appears to decompress only when it is left on level 1 and the car is turned off. It happens pretty quickly (like when filling up the fuel tank). It does not happen on level 2 or 3.

Any suggestions as to the cause and for a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Gerry
Old 11-23-2007, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad air bag. Replace. Nearly everyone has at least one fail.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Me thinks you hear more bad than good..mine are fine @70k

But GMcB likely needs a spring. Hope Kingfishgrapejam tells his story.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/211422.phtml">More Data</a></li></ul>
Old 11-23-2007, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Pretty obvious, bag or supply line leaking on that side..... more

have a dealer, or indy check that out.

Solution.... replace bag, or line....if attempting to do it your self then get parts from Carson, and don't forget to get the dreaded pinch bolt.

I have an 02 2.7tip...and I have had no problems so far....43k miles, and my AR is still under cpo till 10/08.

I did have a sound coming from the right rear...sounded very simular to the compressor kicking in&amp;out.... turned out to be tire noise.
Dealer wanted to change rear rotors...etc...and work a huge bill up, but I retreived my baby from the greasy little paws and took it ot my indy... who confirmed it was tire noise. Had all 4 tires and wheels road force balanced...and viola...no more noise.

What caught my attention was the dealer wanted to replace rotors, but not the pads also....wtf!
Seemed like they wanted to do everything that wasn't covered by cpo....and didn't want to check out the other possibilities...like driveline problems, or wheel bearings..

I also had two cv boots mysteriosly tear while at the dealer....also replaced by my indy @ half what the dealer wanted!

I plan on driving this car for quite a few years, and am up in the air whether or not to do coilovers, I prefer the air suspension, but I don't know if I am willing to invest in multible replacements as some here have. I prefer to spend that kind of money on a RNS-E nav, bluetooth, and 6 cd changer.

I imagine that sooner or later I will have to make that decision, but for now we have had absolutely no major problems.

I periodically clean the suspension off while washing the car, and inspect for any problems, and keep the maint schedule up.

All in all...this is one of the finest vehicles I have ever driven, and I have had four previous Audi's....and I would most certainly purchase this car again...if I had it all to do over again.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Pretty obvious, bag or supply line leaking on that side..... more

I've got a call into my indy - but with the holiday I think they are off today. What's weird is that the failure only happens when on level 1. I would think the bag would fail period, not just on one level.

I couldn't agree more regarding the whole car. This is my second allroad. I had an 01 with TIP and really liked it. I have the 4.2 in this '04 and am at 55k miles. Up until 49K it had been pretty flawless. But I just can't seem to find another car that agrees with me better than the allroad so I'm up for spending for a while to keep her going.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thx. Seems to be the answer.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default It will initiall only happen at level one because of where the stress is on the wall of the bag.

You will start noticing it on all levels eventually. Also let your indy know that he can loosen the 2 16mm bolts at the inside of the control arm. This will save him the hassle of dealing with the pinch bolt. He'll have to free the strut tower assembly from the top before he can get the front bolt out but it makes things go a lot easier.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default How much did the air spring assembly cost?

btw - thanks for the explanation.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default A quick search revealed............

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/215736.phtml">Options</a></li></ul>
Old 11-23-2007, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

my bad - thanks for the search result... ;-)

Quick Reply: Survey Question: How many have had Air Spring problems - and what were they?