Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Suspension Control Level Surpassed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Control Level Surpassed

Recently had new (used) engine put in my AR. It was in the garage 4 weeks for various reasons and when I got it back the amber suspension warning light on the dash was on. Did not get the garage to look into this because I knew I had a small (intermittent) air leak on one of the rear air springs so thought the 'warning' was due to that.
Fitted my new Arnott air spring ok but 'warning' light still on. Useing my Ross Tech (full version) program I intended to tweek up the levels useing the 402 adaption method but found I could not do this because I had the message "Control Limil Surpassed" so new levels could not be entered. I think that maybe because of the battery being disconnected of ages at the garage and possibly clumsy jacking the controller has reverted to some 'impossible' hieght setting.

At the moment the front is permenently high (maybe level 3 or 4) and the rear is down on end stop I think. Since I cannot reprogam the levels useing 'adaption' is there any way to reset to 'factory' setting or tricking the controller out of 'limit suppressed' mode. Any help os advice would be much appreciated.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Possible Solution

Check the front height sensors
Old 07-26-2013, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paulouk
Recently had new (used) engine put in my AR. It was in the garage 4 weeks for various reasons and when I got it back the amber suspension warning light on the dash was on. Did not get the garage to look into this because I knew I had a small (intermittent) air leak on one of the rear air springs so thought the 'warning' was due to that.
Fitted my new Arnott air spring ok but 'warning' light still on. Useing my Ross Tech (full version) program I intended to tweek up the levels useing the 402 adaption method but found I could not do this because I had the message "Control Limil Surpassed" so new levels could not be entered. I think that maybe because of the battery being disconnected of ages at the garage and possibly clumsy jacking the controller has reverted to some 'impossible' hieght setting.

At the moment the front is permenently high (maybe level 3 or 4) and the rear is down on end stop I think. Since I cannot reprogam the levels useing 'adaption' is there any way to reset to 'factory' setting or tricking the controller out of 'limit suppressed' mode. Any help os advice would be much appreciated.
I would check the level sensors especially the wheels the garage were working on, there is a procedure somewhere but don't have it too hand

no other fault codes??

regards
Andy
Old 07-27-2013, 12:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bagpipingandy
I would check the level sensors especially the wheels the garage were working on, there is a procedure somewhere but don't have it too hand

no other fault codes??

regards
Andy
Have checked all level sensors phyically and they seem ok, not getting any fault codes other than 'levels not learned' and 'control level surpassed.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Paul, the level not learned code, had you previously tried to calibrate it? If you did with a weak compressor or leak this may be the issue. If you start the calibration the car tries to get to level 2 if it can't do this this fault can occur,

let me know if we are on the right lines

regards

andy
Old 07-28-2013, 01:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Andy, UPDATE! I was just about to buy a used Suspension Controller on Ebay hoping that it may still have it's default height setting, when I thought I'd try just one last time to get the '402 adaption' prog to complete. To my surprise it came up with 'value' instead of 'error' so I lowered the front by 5mm and raised the rear 5mm and the amber dash light went out once I'd saved the new settings.

Since then I have been able to access the 'adaption' every time presumably because I am now within acceptable limits and not in 'control limits surpassed' mode. Have now made adjustments front and rear, 10mm at a time, and my AR is sitting pretty at 402ish. Gave it along run yesterday and all functions seem to be working normally at last.

Thanks for your ionterest and to Amiram

Paul.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Like the others have said the allroad is a heavy pig with squishy air suspension. With the money you would have to put into the allroad to make it track tolerable you could get something much more capable. You could find a nice BMW E39 or MB wagon over there for about what you could sell the allroad for not even taking into acount shipping a car over there from the US.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by abeeha
Like the others have said the allroad is a heavy pig with squishy air suspension. With the money you would have to put into the allroad to make it track tolerable you could get something much more capable. You could find a nice BMW E39 or MB wagon over there for about what you could sell the allroad for not even taking into acount shipping a car over there from the US.
Thank you for your comment 'abeeha', but your comment seems to be ill founded. My Allroad corners like it is on rails on 'level 1 and 2' at speed and on 'levels 3 and 4' it goes over rocks, rubble and mud on my unmade track leading to my house high on Dartmoor, Devon, UK. And with the leather and wallnut interier it does it in style and comfort.

I see no reason to leave Audi and certainly would not touch a BMW or a US vehicle with a barge-pole.

If you hate Allroad so much I wonder why you bothered to join the AR forum!!
Old 07-31-2013, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by paulouk
Thank you for your comment 'abeeha', but your comment seems to be ill founded. My Allroad corners like it is on rails on 'level 1 and 2' at speed and on 'levels 3 and 4' it goes over rocks, rubble and mud on my unmade track leading to my house high on Dartmoor, Devon, UK. And with the leather and wallnut interier it does it in style and comfort.

I see no reason to leave Audi and certainly would not touch a BMW or a US vehicle with a barge-pole.

If you hate Allroad so much I wonder why you bothered to join the AR forum!!
He replied in the wrong thread. There is another thread that talks about tracking the Allroad, and while you may enjoy the Allroad, the fact is that it's no track car by any means
Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

jacketsvision http://www.jacketsvision.com/
Testking 220-701 Testking 220-701
Testking 220-702 Testking 220-702
Testking VCP-410 Testking VCP-410
Testking 640-816 Testking 640-816

Quick Reply: Suspension Control Level Surpassed