Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Talk Sense to me about my Allroad

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk Sense to me about my Allroad

Okay, so I have a stock 2004 Allroad 2.7t. I love it the way you love the girlfriend that's cheating on you. I get up in the middle of the night to check the airbags are holding it up properly. I dont exceed 4,000rpm, it gets oil that appears to contain plutonium its so expensive....and yet.....

I just replaced the Torque Convertor.

Goes even more like a train, but makes some really strange noises - intermittently sounds like a distant army of midgets tap dancing on light bulbs. Lets not forget the SAI noise in the morning either - a big thank you to the previous owner for disconnecting it before selling it to me, probably a really smart move....

Anyway. I should detail it and trade it in immediately....right?
Has anyone ever won a battle with a Tranny without spending $10k?
With 100k on the clock and no way of knowing if the Timing belt was done, should I just suck it up and do it?

Questions...questions....questions.....but stick it on a freeway and its still unlike anything I've driven south of a Benz AMG wagon - perhaps the only thing on the road MORE expensive to live with.

So talk sense to me - when do you move on from an Allroad? How much is enough?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No matter what you replace it with, it will still cost more than fixing this one.....wouldn't you rather keep on with the car you know? I fixed the SAI on my car, it wasn't that hard, just needed a couple of new bearings at about $6 ea.

We're in a similar dilemma with our 2004, except it only has 50K on it - we're just waiting for something to fail catastrophically......but in the meantime, my wife absolutely loves her Allroad and we've never found anything to replace it (that we can afford), so at a minimum we're going to keep it till it's10 or 12 years old....
Old 06-29-2011, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do the timing belt service immediately since it may be the original yet and fix the SAI pump. The tap dancing midgets sound may go away with the TB service. You already did the TC, so your set there. Honestly, your problems seem minor.

What oil are you running that is so expensive? Mobil 1 0w-40 or German Castrol 0w-30. Either one can be found for $5/qt on sale and are VW 502 approved.

If you sell now you will take a big hit by not having a record of the TB service and will cost you more to replace than to fix and drive.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh boy - where do I start? I LOVE my allroad 2.7 but in the last 50K I've had all the engine and drive-train seals done, some twice. several control units replaced including the ECU, both front airbags and a bunch of other stuff I can't recall without going through the paper work.

All the work was paid for under my Audi extended warranty - 2 of them over 4 years. total was $5K for both. Total for all the work done on the car was over $15K so it more than paid for itself.

allroads are amazing vehicles and will last over 200k without a significant rebuild BUT you have to maintain them properly and have a warranty.

mine just got totaled and I almost, almost, bought a sweet 2005 4.2 single owner dealer maintained with 60k on the odo. beastly v8 is definitely the way to go and bulletproof

http://californiamotors.com/newandus...-CA-94901.aspx

but after reflecting on what I dealt with over the last 4 years and current gas prices, I'm downgrading to a loaded up A3 2.0T

I'll always miss my ar though
Old 07-01-2011, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The A3 is an interesting choice...we had one as a service loaner a few months ago and she liked it better than the A4. If we were going to "downsize" a bit, that's the way we'd go too......