Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Third Row Retrofit complete

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zombie thread alert! I used the resource of this thread as the basis for my 7 seat conversion, I completed it for the princely sum of £zero as I bought a job lot of parts that included the folding bench seat, then sold the rest of the bits, then found a 1998 A6 breaking and had another set of seats, the mounting frame, C pilar trims, seat belts, boot floor trim and carpet for £100.

I've got the second set of seats for sale if anyone is interested?

Name:  95ed299c.jpg
Views: 3557
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  ff8b17f8.jpg
Views: 3038
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  d252a527.jpg
Views: 9123
Size:  71.7 KB

I guess there aren't too many Bi-turbo All roads with the seven seat option, probably quite an expensive addition when new.

I'll be ordering the drinks holders shortly.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was it even an option for allroads at all? (prolly not for USA cars)

It's great though that folks like you have taken the plunge and shown it can be done. Looks great !!

I'd love to do it to mine...but by the time I get around to it and sourcing all the parts, my kids will be too big to actually sit back there !! I should have tried to do it when the original poster posted it in 2006....and my kids were toddlers.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Therein lies the problem. Anyone that's small enough to actually fit in these seats needs to be using a booster, so it's a catch-22.

My allroad came with the 3rd row from the factory, but I ditched the setup because it was useless and took up all the cargo space. This is a case where the concept of having the third row seat is much better than the implementation.

A number of years ago, I had a C4 avant, where the 3rd row seat folded into the floor (didn't take up any space when not in use), and could actually fit a child/small person reasonably. That was a much, much better setup... Like it was actually designed to work with the car, and not an add-on like the C5 setup.

Originally Posted by all(over)road
Was it even an option for allroads at all? (prolly not for USA cars)

It's great though that folks like you have taken the plunge and shown it can be done. Looks great !!

I'd love to do it to mine...but by the time I get around to it and sourcing all the parts, my kids will be too big to actually sit back there !! I should have tried to do it when the original poster posted it in 2006....and my kids were toddlers.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My kids are of a height that don't need booster seats and they sit in the back comfortably, out of interest I showed them to a Policeman friend and he felt that the seats were child seats in design (and description) and therefore did not require a booster seat for a smaller child.

The design was such that they negated the need.

Also the seat swings to the right and locks in place out of the way of the load area leaving a very large boot available, not seeing the issue.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Giblet,

Thanks a ton for this writeup! I just installed the third row in my 2005 allroad and your information was invaluable.

As my allroad is a later model, I wanted to add a few notes. I was nervous at first regarding the mounting points in later models. I can confirm that all of them are there (at least in my 2005 6MT 2.7t). This includes all of the mounts for the seat frame, the rear hatch handle and hardware, and the seat belts themselves.

The one difference that I found is in the c-pillar trim. At some point they changed the design such that the mounting points for the two torx screws holding the c-pillar trim are not the same. It is not immediately apparent why this was done, but the screws in later models are a bit higher and spaced farther apart. The bottom screw is the same, as is the overall shape of the trim piece. I ended up using the older version to create a template and cut mine using a Dremel so that the seat belts could pass through. It was pretty easy, especially as there are casting marks inside that allow one to match things up.

I am pleased with the result (as are our kids). Thanks again!
Old 04-01-2018, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Barry’s are you still selling those seats

Hi Barryj. Please let me know if you are still selling the extra seats you have! You can text me at+13478492485
Old 04-03-2018, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys,
I have the mounting frame and some other trims in estepa green. Shipment throughout Europe is no problem, shipment to USA is possible but must be checked about the fees.