Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Thumping sound, like a flat tire coming from front end at 40 to 45 mph? >long<

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumping sound, like a flat tire coming from front end at 40 to 45 mph? >long<

Took a trip to the mid-atlantic, Baltimore/Annapolis. While driving back from Baltimore to Annapolis the day before I left, I was forced by traffic to drive over a piece of angle iron about 7 feet long that was laying perpendicular across the roadway.

It didn't stike the underside of the car, and I had all the tires checked before I returned to Chicago. That was two weeks ago, two days ago the thumping sound started, it sounds exactly like a flat tire...a thump thump.

Contacted my insurance company, they have allowed a no fault claim, and the car is now at my indy.

Also decided to do the hr sways at this time, due to the body roll I experienced while driving thru Pa.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default paging Paulroad... my indy couldn't find anything wrong, and the symptom has gone..

I have to drive my disabled brother back to Balt/Annapolis this weekend and have temporarialy lost my confidence in the allroad.

My indy has test drove the ar up 70, and cannot reproduce the sound... could I just be getting paranoid in my old age?

I would like to hear your opinion.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2008, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hard to daignose on the web with no sound...

sounds are had to diagnose in person too.

My mind goes from something tied up on the half shaft.. fanning out at speed and then it flew off?

No clue.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I wonder if it's a tire problem.

Maybe a partial tread separation that has temporarily settled? Try rotating the tires, perhaps.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:03 PM

Default check CV boots.. and loose plastic fender skirts (Wells)

both can produce noise and vibration you refer to at specific speed intervals and go away if faster or slower speeds... I have a partial split on my left CV shaft now that vibrates at freeway speed under load.. new part on its way from egermanparts.com $115 complete with free ship... this is my first time using them so will see how they turn out..
Old 11-09-2008, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Update: My indy could find nothing wrong with the car, and I also had him do HR sways while ....

he had it on the lift.
That was Friday afternoon, car drove great on the way home, definately much improved handling with the new sway bars, but...

Yesterday morning the front end was kneeling, and the suspension warning light came on when I started the car. The compressor ran for about 3 minutes as it brought the car back up to level one, and it stayed at the height for the rest of the afternoon. I had to run some errands in the evening, and experienced the same symptom about every four hours.

The drop in the front in is on both sides, and it doesn't matter what level I set the suspension at.

My question is...seeing as to drop is on both sides, would this indicate a leak in something other that the airspring, would it indicate a damaged line going to the front, or a leak at the manifold?

I have two complete shocks, with bags in storage, but I hesitate to swap them out until I know exactly where the leak is?

Any opinions, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

also...I need to get this fixed asap, has I have drive two disabled family members back to Maryland