Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Windshield bottom seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Windshield bottom seal

The seal at the bottom of the windshield is letting water through, runs into cabin air filter and floods passenger side.
How to re seal it?

The seal is created by a groove in the windshield holder where the lip of the plastic cover goes on.

Not sure how it originally seals, but I assume I have to fill the groove with sealant then press the lip of the cover in.
What sealant should I use? Black RTV? Pure silicone? Other Bathroom sealant?

Old 10-04-2018, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same issue last week, used clear RTV silicone sealant/adhesive.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JamesHowlett
Had the same issue last week, used clear RTV silicone sealant/adhesive.
I cleaned the groove (blade screwdriver, rag, alcohol) and the 'edge'.
I filled the groove with 100% silicone, and coated the 'edge' on the cover also in silicone.
With hood open, clamped/wedged various item between cover and hood to keep pressure on until silicone dries.

Hope it will hold up for a few years.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Clean it out and snap it back on. Its not designed to use any sealant
Old 10-08-2018, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4xaudi
Clean it out and snap it back on. Its not designed to use any sealant
Not holding anymore without 'glue'.
But not sure what was holding it in place when new, so not sure what is worn out or missing now.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The problem I have is with the first piece of plastic that runs across the windshield underneath the wipers there was a windshield sealant used on it has separating on the passenger side, so now water running behind it and right over top of the filter that leads into the cabin, what I will do is take that piece of plastic off, clean the old sealant off, And secure with new windshield adhesive. You can find this at discount auto for $17.

3M Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive, 08693, 10.5 fl oz Cartridge

Old 05-17-2020, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The little steel channel at the bottom of the windshield is intended to carry water to the sides, where there are drains. When windshield replacement morons get through, they leave a bunch of adhesive plugging that channel, so water overflows onto the area below, soaking the cabin air filter and dripping inside the cabin.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know this is an old thread, but this issue keeps coming up for people.

My wife's car had this issue after a windshield replacement. The installer clearly didn't understand how the plenum cover (underneath the windshield wiper arms) was supposed to be installed, and the cover was loose enough that water could run underneath it, and into the cabin air filter. It took me awhile to figure out why I couldn't get the plenum cover snapped into place, until I realized that I was looking at the wrong slot.

There are two slots, a thin one closer to the windshield, and a wider one closer to the engine. I thought the flange was supposed to install into the wider slot, retained by some sort of clips. That's incorrect. The correct slot is quite thin, maybe 1/8" wide, and is the retaining clip. If you've identified the flange on the underside of the plenum cover, you're looking for a slot that is just wide enough to retain the flange. Start at one side of the car, push the plenum cover flange into the slot, and work your way across the windshield. Once I realized which slot I was supposed to be using, the cover snapped into place very securely. If the plenum cover has been removed several times, the slot could possibly be worn too much to retain the flange, but make sure you're using the correct slot before you make assumptions about needing adhesive.