Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

wobble and suspension leveling help from greater minds then my own!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wobble and suspension leveling help from greater minds then my own!!!!!!!!

hello i am back.

the saga continues ... i will try and keep this post as breif as possible.

recently my suspension control module went out. as my car is out of warranty i took it to the great folk at Scientific Automotive in Pasadena CA. a great group of guys to work with. they ordered and installed the part but found that they were unable to re-calibrate. so they sent to the dealer where is was discovered that the pump was out and was unable to maintain the required pressure. once i received the car back the ride was noticably different then when i had taken it in. (much harsher ride) with in a couple of days i noticed that there was a wobble that would begin @ around 40-45 mph. doing research on the forum my first thought was that the transmission control module was now out. so i took it back to my guys who could not recreate the wobble. i have come to notice that sometimes it is very bad and sometimes barley noticeable. my mechanic said that the front axels had more play in them then they would like to see and that this may be the source of the vibration. i had noticed that the car had a slight lean. so this weekend i measured all 4 corners and found that the car (groun to fender) was 3/4 lower on the passenger side. as the deal reset and calibrated the car i cannot blame my mechanics.

questions:
could this be the cause of the wobble?
how sensitve is the car to being uneven?

any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED

thanks,
xero
Old 03-05-2007, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If the wobble is more dependent on the acceleration/deceleration, I will check the axles first.

Just hang up the car, shake the inner CV & the outter CV of the axle slightly by hand. You should can feel the gap in the CV.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:48 PM

Default Re: If the wobble is more dependent on the acceleration/deceleration, I will check the axles first.

yes, i do notice that when i accelerate i get the wobble, when i lift my foot of the gas it goes away. would the fact that the care is not level make things worse?

thanks in advance
xero
Old 03-05-2007, 11:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't think that the car leveling will affect the wobble. Maybe I am wrong.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default imho....no. The wheels and drive train are all level, its the body that is not.

The dealer shoudl re calibrate the height at N/C. BUt you need to have your lug nuts checked for proper torque, and the CV joints as well.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:45 AM

Default YES!!!! I think. I noticed more shudder

on acceleration when I had the allroad on a "rake" setting with the 402 mod. The stance was .5 inch lower up front than the rears. There was a lot more shudder with this set up. The shudder was a bit less when all corners were even.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Inspecting CV's....

The hand check is a good place to start as it is cheap and easy. The real way to check them is with at least the hub end disconnected from the car. If you are unwilling to disconnect them from the hub at least jack the car up on stands so that the wheel is free to spin. By the time you can move the joint around by hand with the wheels on the joint is fairly far gone.

When I removed my axles for replacement they felt fine on the car but once removed the inners showed enough play to generate the vibration problems.

Cheers
Gregor