Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

You've gotta have V1 in AR .... now i swear by it ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I assume you saw my tech article on this?

tech -> electronics, link to pic below.

I ended up with the remote velcro'ed to the top of the steering column (even with the front edge with the joint where the wheel turns). It isn't the most elegant solution such as the rebuilt modules that fit in front of the car's display, but it is functional. If you move it further back you can't reach it to use the mute button (or in the case of the rebuilt ones figure out how to wire the button somewhere else), and it blocks the bottom of the center display at least from my seating position.

With it mounted on the column, I can reach the remote with my fingertips through the steering wheel, except when turning, which in real world use isn't much of a problem (you can always mute it with the main unit button if you are turning).

fj..<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/remote_display_center_fwd_from_side.jpg">https://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/remote_display_center_fwd_from_side.jpg</a</li></ul>
Old 12-13-2002, 10:14 AM
rcc

Default Yep - pay the dough for a good radar detector...

I have had a V1 for several years and a Passport 8500 as well (both work similarly well, great K band warning distance/time). Although the directional indicators are nice on the V1, I put the Passport in the allroad (originally in my wife's car) because I thought the hardwire install was neater above the rearview mirror (yes even though the glass is tinted there and probably reduces sensitivity a bit). They have both provided a healthy return as insurance against speed traps.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:32 AM

Default The question is: will they ever finish it?

"It is our intention to release the first production DEI units on or about August 15, 2002"

"We are excited to announce that we are continuing on target for a future release of the Audi Trip Computer Display Enhancement Interface!"

How can you be "on target" when there is no definite schedule?