Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

2021 e-tron dead Battery 3rd time since June 21

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2021 e-tron dead Battery 3rd time since June 21

To say frustrated is an understatement but I bought the Etron earlier on this past summer, June to be exact and was super excited.
Episode 1. July 4th weekend, I was getting it towed because I woke up one Saturday and car was dead. According to the service department, I left ignition on over 59 mins..... I don't see how that happened but apparently I left things on. I was surprised that it had no failover of any sort, or I guess dead battery was the failover. Anyway, car fixed and all is well with the world.
Episode 2. July 20th, Tuesday morning same ****, this time around I knew that the car was not on, I have reminders ro check car at night even. I called closest dealer and tried to see if there is a special Audi Roadside team who specializes in Etron Batteries because towing the car out of my garage was not fun first time around. He advised me to have the Roadside jump the 12v battery and then bring the car....well, we did that and a few malfunction errors came up and car was stuck in neutral and eventually had to replace the parking lock actuator I think and once again, all is well with the world.
Episode 3. Tonight, attempted to go grab my dinner and once again, car is dead. So this time around here is the flow of events.
1. Drove car last on Sunday, plugged into charger evening.
2. Monday, travelled for business forgot to unplug charger, came back yesterday late in the evening, didn't need to drive so didn't check o the car.
3. Tonight needed to go up dinner, tried to access car, car is dead.
So before I start the E-Trons are nothing but an expensive POS EV, can someone please help me understand if
1. Leaving the charger on all week could have drained the 12v battery?
2. I have to get it towed again in the morning but is it possible to have a ETRON SME just check the car out on site since AUDI prohibits doing anything with the car? Isn't that something Audi should try to be committed to? This may be asking for a Unicorn but 🤷🏾‍♀️
3. Is anyone else experiencing these types of battery related issues 😫 because for the price of this car, this is not life. I am over it.

Help.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 148 Posts

I have not had this happen myself since getting my E-tron in 2019. But there have been reports of the 12V battery failing in some instances. So it may be the case that yours is one of those. Your dealer should have checked it, though. Also, Audi apparently is saying that leaving the car unlocked for long periods of time can drain the 12V battery even if it is plugged in. Again, I have no first-hand experience but that is what I read. I do carry a jump starter battery in the trunk just in case because if this.
The following users liked this post:
BeeTron (10-09-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by BeeTron
So before I start the E-Trons are nothing but an expensive POS EV, can someone please help me understand if
2. I have to get it towed again in the morning but is it possible to have a ETRON SME just check the car out on site since AUDI prohibits doing anything with the car? Isn't that something Audi should try to be committed to? This may be asking for a Unicorn but 🤷🏾‍♀️
3. Is anyone else experiencing these types of battery related issues 😫 because for the price of this car, this is not life. I am over it.
This is the first 12V issue like this on the e-tron I've heard about. Anyone else?

I have heard of other EVs with 12V battery issues. Early LEAFs, for example.

I suspect that the DC-DC converter that charges the 12V battery isn't working correctly. Or there is a large load on 12V that shouldn't be there. I had a similar problem once, solved by replacing the radio.

BeeTron (10-09-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

I was curious on when the 12 Volt battery get charged, and how aggressive, so best is to monitor the charging voltage overtime. ( I also have a inline clamp-type DC ammeter)
as soon as the e-tron get turned on, the voltage goes to as high as 14.1 volt

these are very affordable.

Old 10-09-2021, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is just happening inside your garage, you should check why…

if the keys are within small range of the car just try to put them far enough or inside some metal box.

it ciuld seems that some lights / other stuff were on for a while .

if not should see if there is something with converter as said before.

i have MY 2019 e-tron and never happened to me.

noticed some time that when parking my Q7 in my small garage, where i should exist from the passenger door , the car still have the lights on for a while .

Old 10-09-2021, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Such a strange scenario. I keep my etron plugged into my charger for days at a time in my garage with no problems. I also leave my car in my garage for weeks at a time without being plugged in with no problems either.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

I’ve left my ‘19 plugged in for weeks without using it and never had an issue.

I’ve left it at around 70% SOC unplugged for weeks, and never had an issue.

Your situation sounds exactly the same as many owners of the Porsche Taycan were experiencing when the car was first released. Failure to maintain the charge in the 12V battery when left on the charger, and/or failure to charge it when driving.

This should be easy for your dealership to fix. Call Audi yourself and tell them you’re monitoring how many times this issue has left you stranded, or potentially so, before you start investigating’Lemon Law’ options.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What charger are you using? The stock audi charger?
Old 10-10-2021, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

May want to read through this thread: https://www.e-tronforum.com/threads/...charging.1908/

They did TSB 2061788/3 which did not fix the issue so they replaced the AX4 and that solved the issues.

Last edited by Bill33525; 10-10-2021 at 03:54 AM.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 535 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by BeeTron
To say frustrated is an understatement but I bought the Etron earlier on this past summer, June to be exact and was super excited.
Episode 1. July 4th weekend, I was getting it towed because I woke up one Saturday and car was dead. According to the service department, I left ignition on over 59 mins..... I don't see how that happened but apparently I left things on. I was surprised that it had no failover of any sort, or I guess dead battery was the failover. Anyway, car fixed and all is well with the world.
Episode 2. July 20th, Tuesday morning same ****, this time around I knew that the car was not on, I have reminders ro check car at night even. I called closest dealer and tried to see if there is a special Audi Roadside team who specializes in Etron Batteries because towing the car out of my garage was not fun first time around. He advised me to have the Roadside jump the 12v battery and then bring the car....well, we did that and a few malfunction errors came up and car was stuck in neutral and eventually had to replace the parking lock actuator I think and once again, all is well with the world.
Episode 3. Tonight, attempted to go grab my dinner and once again, car is dead. So this time around here is the flow of events.
1. Drove car last on Sunday, plugged into charger evening.
2. Monday, travelled for business forgot to unplug charger, came back yesterday late in the evening, didn't need to drive so didn't check o the car.
3. Tonight needed to go up dinner, tried to access car, car is dead.

Help.
Does your 2021 suffer from the constantly repeating "charging complete " notifications some get when setting the Maximum SOC to 80%? If so that could drain your 12v battery.
kataja (10-11-2021)

Quick Reply: 2021 e-tron dead Battery 3rd time since June 21