Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Traffic Information Quality and NAV

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traffic Information Quality and NAV

Hello again,

This post is related to user experience with built in traffic avoidance. My wife has used the in car system 3 times this week and TWICE in two days it took her directly into a fully closed road that has been under construction for months. Now last night I was playing with the system and I noticed that it said road blocked and the word online turned yellow and it actually listed one of the closures she had previously run into to so not clear to me if it was not actually getting the traffic feed (though she says all the colored road overlays for traffic density were there) or what.

Has anyone else had problems with the on board NAV running them right into road closures?
Old 07-10-2019, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

The Audi Nav system is terrible. I tried it a few times and it gave horrible directions every time. I only use waze over CarPlay. If its a longer trip that requires a charge, I use abetterrouteplanner.com and punch those details into waze or google maps. I drove up to Boston from NY yesterday and it didn't route me through either of the Electrify America chargers that are on the route, and they have been open for months. It's just awful.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mcummins17
Hello again,

This post is related to user experience with built in traffic avoidance. My wife has used the in car system 3 times this week and TWICE in two days it took her directly into a fully closed road that has been under construction for months. Now last night I was playing with the system and I noticed that it said road blocked and the word online turned yellow and it actually listed one of the closures she had previously run into to so not clear to me if it was not actually getting the traffic feed (though she says all the colored road overlays for traffic density were there) or what.

Has anyone else had problems with the on board NAV running them right into road closures?
Check this thread: MMI NAV issue yesterday
Old 07-10-2019, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3
Check this thread: MMI NAV issue yesterday
I agree that that NAV and the “etron route planner” is the biggest (and in my estimation ONLY) glaring miss on the etron. Clear view of nearest level 3 chargers is THE most important topic for etron drivers on trips. I’m in software myself so don’t want to undersell the difficulties with software development in general (for example building an integration to the Electrify America network) but even with a fair consideration for these complexities when you look at everything Audi did in developing hardware and software for the etron, you consider everything Electrify America has done in building out their phase 1, you consider that Audi has had plug in hybrids prior to the etron and it’s really inexcusable that we have to wait for an update for this critical functionality. I love our etron but am definitely looking forward to Audi solving the route planning need vs using non Audi phone apps.
The following 2 users liked this post by wetz001:
e-tronDriver (07-11-2019), LavaGrau_A3 (07-10-2019)