Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Audi, please please give the driver the battery temperature

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 186 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Audi, please please give the driver the battery temperature

Battery temperature is a key variable for charging. If it is too cold, the charging rate is slow.

https://electrichasgoneaudi.net/mode...cchargingslow/

I would like to know, before I stop and plug in, that the charging speed is going to be slower.

When I plug in, and the charging speed is 50kW rather than 145kW, is that because the battery is cold? Or is the charger not working fully, in which case I should switch to another charger and report the issue?

Should I stop now, or later? I might want to stop later if the battery is too cold for a full rate charge. I might want to stop now because the coffee is better.
The following 2 users liked this post by WetEV:
SaffsDad (01-05-2022), TTom TTR (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 692 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by WetEV
Battery temperature is a key variable for charging. If it is too cold, the charging rate is slow.

https://electrichasgoneaudi.net/mode...cchargingslow/

I would like to know, before I stop and plug in, that the charging speed is going to be slower.

When I plug in, and the charging speed is 50kW rather than 145kW, is that because the battery is cold? Or is the charger not working fully, in which case I should switch to another charger and report the issue?

Should I stop now, or later? I might want to stop later if the battery is too cold for a full rate charge. I might want to stop now because the coffee is better.
Absolutely agree. In fact, simply a more robust charging screen.
I am talking about that center console screen which shows charging and efficiency data. You can use your finger to slide the max charge threshold to. It just seems to take up a lot of realestate for the amount of information given. I'd love for that screen to be very data rich and show you a bunch of charging and efficiency data while you are charging.

A breakdown of your efficiency since you last charged
Battery temp
Some historical charging data

Old 01-05-2022, 02:18 PM
Institutionalized Member

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

I sure wish Audi would provide a lot more information about the battery. Chrysler sure did a nice job in our Hybrid Pacifica with presenting a plethora of information about the battery, more than I even care to know. But it is there if you want to see it. On the Audi, I don't even get the current battery percentage without going through 4-5 levels of the MMI (to be fair, I get a guess-o-line, which is pretty poor, IMHO). Here are a couple screens with data, pulled from a Pacifica forum. And it is reporting on the gas and battery engines. e-tron just needs battery info.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

Taycan has battery temperature monitor. If below 70F the car will limit the charge to 50kWh, needs to be above 90F to get the highest charge speed. Just completed long distance trip from Fl to Delaware. Saw 50 & 90 kWh charging speeds up north even after 150 miles of highway driving. On the way back in Ga & Fl saw 260kWh initial charging speeds. I would like to see a screen with everything that is drawing current from the battery so can understand why some days the consumption is higher than usual.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love more battery information as well. I shouldn't be getting more data from my evse than my ev.

Although this is farther down my wish list. Behind App stability/dependability and the ability to connect to home wifi in our garage where there is little to no cell signal.......