Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

BMW iX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

In addition to getting rid of piano black, now that big touch screens are the norm I'd love if matte screens were at least an option. Most of us use these for choosing audio or gps, we don't need bright crisp HD clarity of actual tablets. A little dullness to the finish is a fine trade off for me to lose the glare and fingerprints.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

first world problems.....
The following users liked this post:
gerryw4 (11-13-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Pretty easily solvable too. Get an overlay for the black piano finish and get a matte protector for the glossy display screens. Some things are much harder to solve like uncomfortable seats or bad driving position.
Old 11-08-2023, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traded in a 21 etron SUV for an IX 50. Some things are slightly worse than the etron(etron feels more solid), but other things are much better(range, software).

App:
I rarely have any issues with the BMW app and it's pretty instantaneous when unlocking/locking/starting climate etc. whereas with the etron half the time it failed or timed out. OTA updates can be done. Digital key is nice and you can use your phone or a key card as the key.

Range:
I'm getting about 300 miles per charge to 80% here in Wisconsin so it's a massive improvement over the etron range wise. Average efficiency is about 3.5 miles/kwh. In the summer I often got 4+ miles/kwh on local roads and 3.3-5 on highway at 70mph.

Drive:
The drive is a lot more direct than the old etron. The acceleration feels a lot more instantaneous and it's very quick. I think the 0-60 in 4.5 seconds is probably a low estimate.

The ride height is bit higher which is nice for an SUV, I always felt the etron sits a bit low.

Interior:
The build quality is very good but the doors feel flimsier than the etron(maybe because of frameless windows). The interior feels a lot roomier up front and open than the etron.

Price:
Like others have said, there are some massive discounts to be had with the ix. We got about 20k off MSRP including incentives so price wise it's not too far off from the etron.

Old 11-08-2023, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rand111

OTA updates can be done. Digital key is nice and you can use your phone or a key card as the key.
Are you saying that the Audi Q8 is not able to be updated OTA?
Old 11-08-2023, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by RMSko
Are you saying that the Audi Q8 is not able to be updated OTA?
Always purported to be by Audi; but never done. Which is probably a Godsend given the fact that every etron Worldwide would probably be ‘bricked’ lol
The following users liked this post:
gerryw4 (11-13-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

The Audi app is plain horrible to control your car remotely and there's no ability to update the car's software OTA. The software functionality you have for the etron today is exactly what you will get 10+ years from now. Don't put any faith that Audi will update the software for increased functionality like Tesla; it just won't happen.

If you: 1) like the way the etron handles and performs; 2) like the build quality and materials; and 3) aren't looking for a computer on wheels, you'll like the etron and will have a harder time finding an alternative.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 537 Likes on 398 Posts

I apologize, but I REALLY don't care about OTA updates!
Old 11-09-2023, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Just got back after looking at and driving an iX M60. Frankly it made my etron seem somewhat pedestrian tbh. Incredibly refined; comfortable; excellent build quality; incredible B&W sound system; quiet and fast AF. The tech obviously blew away the current Audi offerings. My salesman showed me all of the features on the BMW app, and to say I experienced ‘app envy’ is an understatement. The one I drove was Dark Granite and looked really nice, imho. Shame the damn things are so expensive; which is an issue all the German brands need to come to terms with on their EVs it seems.
Old 11-09-2023, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
The tech obviously blew away the current Audi offerings.
Could you give us an idea of what stood out most about the tech. I’m somewhat of a techie and, maybe I’m in the minority, but I think the Q8 tech is pretty good. So, I’d be interested to hear what makes the iX tech that much better. I’m not talking about the app - I really don’t care about that - I’m talking about in-car tech.

Quick Reply: BMW iX?