Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Order placed for SQ8 etron

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 298 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Mine is set to Auto mode but I then use the paddles for Manual Regen all the time, both on the highway and in town. When I’ve accomplished what I want to do, I then exit out of manual by clicking the right paddle. It gives me more engagement with the car imho.
This is exactly how I drive as well. I'm using the paddles constantly.

One BEEF:

On my 2019 e-tron, paddles resulted in immediate engagement of Regen without any perceptible delay.

However, when it received the "battery increased capacity" software update (around 2021), they implemented a new (as someone on this board card it) "phased in" system where the regen takes half a second or so to kick in. I really hate that - it makes the pedals useless for situations were you instantly need to slow down, but can't afford to wait a half second or so. I find this very annoying...

Last edited by biff2bart; 09-18-2023 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have to pay extra for the 2nd charging port on the sq8? Saw they were charging on the regular Q8s now, thats a pretty shady move.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by geeplus
Do you have to pay extra for the 2nd charging port on the sq8? Saw they were charging on the regular Q8s now, thats a pretty shady move.
Its not about the second charge port, its about 80 amp (20kW) charging capability. And yes, it cost the same for that package on any Q8 variant.
Old 09-19-2023, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 545 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by geeplus
Audi has, in my opinion, somewhat cynically combined the dual port option with the 80A onboard charger, so they can charge $1800+. Fact is, in the US, due to our electrical infrastructure, the odds of being able to use the 80A capability is close to ZERO..
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (09-19-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 01:07 PM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

I am going the other way. My e-tron is at a body shop since June awaiting repairs. I take delivery tomorrow of a new dual motor Rivian R1T pickup.

We planned to buy whenever the dual motor and large battery pack was available, priced below $80K (for tax credits). This seemed unlikely but they have ramped up production and I found one of these unicorns last week in the Rivian shop. Please note I LOVE the Q8 e-tron but my needs have changed. I'm retiring, moving to Oregon, and will be making regular trips over to the southern Oregon coast to Dad's house, which has no cell service or wifi or anything else. We will also be traveling up and down the west coast.

Here is the bad news that I've learned about Rivian so far:

1. Rivian one pedal driving stinks. It's the opposite of innovation. You get used to it and, as the R1S owner already mentioned, it still sucks even after you get used to it.
2. The big screen. Some things will never be done easily on a screen while driving. Every big screen from Tesla to Mercedes Benz to Subaru ends up sucking.
3. It's a cartoon looking thing. I prefer the e-tron because few people even know it's an EV.
4. No heat pump. Rivian climate and thermal systems are not as advanced as they could be.
5. Slooow fast charging above 80% SoC. Road trip stops in a Rivian are an hour or so.
6. No Carplay, no SiriusXM

Here is what I am looking forward to:
1. Utility. It is unbelievably capable. I need a truck but hate gas guzzling, and I'm stoked to finally have a full EV that does what I need. It guzzles electrons but I'm OK with that.
2. Software. It seems fast and updated regularly. I will have to learn their system, but that's true with every competitive car.
3. Ride. I find it similar to the e-tron, just not quite as silent. Heavy EV + Air Suspension. Rivian just pushed a software update that makes it ride better. I wish Audi could do that.
4. Capability. Get under a Rivian to see where they spent money. I found CNC components and braided metal hoses where I was expecting stamped steel and regular brake lines.
5. Rivian network. They have free DCFC in a lot of the places we go. You can travel the west coast in a Rivian and rarely need to charge elsewhere.
6. Range (?). It's rated at 352 miles which seems optimistic AF for this size vehicle. Can it get 300 on the highway? We'll see.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (09-26-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 545 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by mtberman
I am going the other way. My e-tron is at a body shop since June awaiting repairs. I take delivery tomorrow of a new dual motor Rivian R1T pickup.

We planned to buy whenever the dual motor and large battery pack was available, priced below $80K (for tax credits). This seemed unlikely but they have ramped up production and I found one of these unicorns last week in the Rivian shop. Please note I LOVE the Q8 e-tron but my needs have changed. I'm retiring, moving to Oregon, and will be making regular trips over to the southern Oregon coast to Dad's house, which has no cell service or wifi or anything else. We will also be traveling up and down the west coast.

Here is the bad news that I've learned about Rivian so far:

1. Rivian one pedal driving stinks. It's the opposite of innovation. You get used to it and, as the R1S owner already mentioned, it still sucks even after you get used to it.
2. The big screen. Some things will never be done easily on a screen while driving. Every big screen from Tesla to Mercedes Benz to Subaru ends up sucking.
3. It's a cartoon looking thing. I prefer the e-tron because few people even know it's an EV.
4. No heat pump. Rivian climate and thermal systems are not as advanced as they could be.
5. Slooow fast charging above 80% SoC. Road trip stops in a Rivian are an hour or so.
6. No Carplay, no SiriusXM

Here is what I am looking forward to:
1. Utility. It is unbelievably capable. I need a truck but hate gas guzzling, and I'm stoked to finally have a full EV that does what I need. It guzzles electrons but I'm OK with that.
2. Software. It seems fast and updated regularly. I will have to learn their system, but that's true with every competitive car.
3. Ride. I find it similar to the e-tron, just not quite as silent. Heavy EV + Air Suspension. Rivian just pushed a software update that makes it ride better. I wish Audi could do that.
4. Capability. Get under a Rivian to see where they spent money. I found CNC components and braided metal hoses where I was expecting stamped steel and regular brake lines.
5. Rivian network. They have free DCFC in a lot of the places we go. You can travel the west coast in a Rivian and rarely need to charge elsewhere.
6. Range (?). It's rated at 352 miles which seems optimistic AF for this size vehicle. Can it get 300 on the highway? We'll see.
Thanks for the review! I have also read that the Rivian acceleration is fantastic, but that the braking seems a little weak.
Old 09-26-2023, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 298 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by JNealCox
Thanks for the review! I have also read that the Rivian acceleration is fantastic, but that the braking seems a little weak.
I drove one last summer and I would agree. However, the truck I drove was late stage pre production, so perhaps things have been tweaked for release.

I really do want these guys to succeed: they seem to have so much passion for their brand and I think both vehicles (Truck and SUV ) look absolutely fantastic. Especially the SUV...
Old 12-06-2023, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

The dealership called me yesterday to tell me they had an SQ8 etron kitted exactly as my order, except for the color, which is Daytona Gray Pearl. So we went and drove it tonight and signed the papers for it, picking it up on Friday. Super stoked! I’ll post pictures once we take delivery.
The following 3 users liked this post by dhph:
marraccinijd (12-07-2023), placebo1969 (12-06-2023), thebishman (12-06-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I just finished signing the paperwork, and managed to get a picture. Taking delivery tomorrow!
The following 2 users liked this post by dhph:
marraccinijd (12-07-2023), thebishman (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 691 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by dhph

I just finished signing the paperwork, and managed to get a picture. Taking delivery tomorrow!
Those front wheel vents! So nice!
The following 2 users liked this post by A4 Phil:
dhph (12-09-2023), marraccinijd (12-11-2023)

Quick Reply: Order placed for SQ8 etron