Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Recall: High-Voltage Battery Module(s) 93U9/23V867

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I wonder how Audi will fix this recall? Changing out the battery pack will be most logical choice but this will take long time due to supply issues. Software update isn't a permanent fix. Sadly, I haven't been contacted by Audi regarding this issue so I'm very unsure of what to do with the car until a fix is in place.
Old 12-29-2023, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think Audi has contacted anyone yet on this. Hopefully next week there will be some updates from the dealers and Audi. I'm hoping it's not as painful and long as the Bolt battery replacements.

​​​​It isn't clear if this is a issue cause by battery manufacturing or a BMS error that allows for over charging. If it's the latter, I can see a software update being done and packs replaced that have seen a lot of 100% charge cycles that could lead to higher voltage issues. If it's a battery manufacturing issue from LG, then the packs would all need to get replaced. In that case, I would hope Audi would just toss in the latest larger pack as that is what is in production.
Old 12-29-2023, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSGC
In that case, I would hope Audi would just toss in the latest larger pack as that is what is in production.
Ugggg mixed feelings on that one. DC fast charging is significantly slower over the full charge cycle, especially on top. But that added capacity for the bump in range and that many fewer cycles of the battery might be nice.

I have yet to hear any cold weather performance results on the new packs. The old cars have really good cold battery performance with all of that yummy cobalt.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Here is a copy of NHTSA recall.
The following users liked this post:
yetron (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Based on that looks like it will be 6-9 months before a software patch is available to detect problems. And until then keep the max charge to 80%.

​​​
The following users liked this post:
khiroshima (01-06-2024)
Old 12-30-2023, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sure reads like they are going to attempt to weasel out of replacing batteries with software and still then only replacing faulty modules in the pack if they fail some arbitrary monitors.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1
Sure reads like they are going to attempt to weasel out of replacing batteries with software and still then only replacing faulty modules in the pack if they fail some arbitrary monitors.
This is what Chevy did earlier this year on the Bolts. They stopped replacing batteries and instead put a SW update that would limit max charge and monitor for cell issues. Probably something that would make it through the warranty period left on the car.

My next worry is once this is publicly posted, parking garages will ban the e Tron like they did with the Bolt.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TheSGC
My next worry is once this is publicly posted, parking garages will ban the e Tron like they did with the Bolt.
Oh it's public.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/a...ue-226896.html
Old 12-30-2023, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

2022 E-Tron here. Checked the date on my door which is 4/22 (April). The NHTSA notice said manufacturing dates up to March 11, 2022. I checked the NHTSA.gov site for recalls and showed my VIN for the recall, so not sure if I squeaked by the recall or not.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TobiAudi
2022 E-Tron here. Checked the date on my door which is 4/22 (April). The NHTSA notice said manufacturing dates up to March 11, 2022. I checked the NHTSA.gov site for recalls and showed my VIN for the recall, so not sure if I squeaked by the recall or not.
I have a 5/22 and the NHTSA DOES NOT list my VIN as affected for the battery recall - only the cable. I wonder if the plant having battery inventory close to the cutoff date may have slipped some into April assemblies? If your VIN is listed on the NHTSA and/or the Audi recall search page, I would be alert for the issue

Quick Reply: Recall: High-Voltage Battery Module(s) 93U9/23V867