Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Tesla lays off Supercharger team

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

If EA wants to have twice as many chargers they only need to get all their existing chargers WORKING.
The following users liked this post:
A4 Phil (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgrimes
If EA wants to have twice as many chargers they only need to get all their existing chargers WORKING.
Quantity over quality.

The head of charging development over there seems legitimately involved and passionate about making EA good. He had a pretty good interview with out of spec at the San Francisco indoor charging location.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 186 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
Hey @WetEV you know how Rob Barrosa said at the CARB meeting for Cycle 4 that part of EA's plan is that NEVI fill gaps that exist in charging infrastructure and that will allow EA to focus more on reliability. I wonder if Elon is jumping on that ship and just pivoting to not needing to build the entire network as NEVI has stepped in.
I've not the first clue what Elon is thinking. I'm not even sure if Elon is thinking.
Speculation: It might be in reaction with the V4 troubles as well. Is it worth rolling out more V3 chargers if everyone will want the higher voltages and speeds? (Will everyone want higher voltages and speeds?)

EA needs to get reliability up a lot, so that needs to be their focus. And they do seem to be making progress on this.

Also, the idea of NEVI funded chargers at gas stations, run by the oil companies, selling a kWh of electricity at gas like prices, should terrify us. We are already seeing exactly that at Pilot/Flying J.
At some odd corner of the USA, miles from anywhere, paying a higher price for a kWh isn't a big worry of mine. I'd rather have the kWh available, especially if reliable, with clean restrooms, reasonable snacks/drinks and so on. The cost of delivering that kWh is also higher.

$0.61 per kWh according to Plugshare plus a $2.99 for using a credit card...
https://www.plugshare.com/location/577456

EVgo app gives $0.51, that is about $4 gasoline. No added fee.

This does not terrify me. Averages with the $0.99 "gasoline" from the home charging station.

vs EA charging at $0.36 with Pass+ monthly fee.

At one of the EA stops, there was not anything for blocks. Given a choice, I would rather have stopped at a location with services, trash cans, windshield washing stations, lights at night and such. And sure, pay more.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1
Why do you say that? It's the same communication protocol as CCS.

It would just be a matter of the vehicle acknowledging v2x and closing the contactors for the DC side of the connection.

NACS and CCS are nearly just a physical plug difference and a little bit of smarts on the vehicle side to sort out AC or DC path.
The physical connections available on the physical plugs. Protocol is the same.

J1772 (CCS1) has two hot wires and a common, so can support US standard 240VAC up to 80 amps. CCS2 has 3 hot wires and a common, so can support three phase as well.
J3400 has two wires. So can support 120VAC. Which is fine for some uses.

Lack of a common. 3 wires vs 2 wires.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 547 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by WetEV

J1772 (CCS1) has two hot wires and a common, so can support US standard 240VAC up to 80 amps. CCS2 has 3 hot wires and a common, so can support three phase as well.

For the communications protocols, can the CCS1/2 and J3400 plugs both access the full range of features available?
Old 05-03-2024, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 699 Likes on 507 Posts

At some odd corner of the USA, miles from anywhere, paying a higher price for a kWh isn't a big worry of mine. I'd rather have the kWh available, especially if reliable, with clean restrooms, reasonable snacks/drinks and so on. The cost of delivering that kWh is also higher.

$0.61 per kWh according to Plugshare plus a $2.99 for using a credit card...
https://www.plugshare.com/location/577456

EVgo app gives $0.51, that is about $4 gasoline. No added fee.

This does not terrify me. Averages with the $0.99 "gasoline" from the home charging station.

vs EA charging at $0.36 with Pass+ monthly fee.

At one of the EA stops, there was not anything for blocks. Given a choice, I would rather have stopped at a location with services, trash cans, windshield washing stations, lights at night and such. And sure, pay more.
I would have no issues with the gas prices if they were related to the actual price of gas and not weird oil company and state pricing schemes. I live in CA long enough and still don't understand why the price goes up in the summer for summer formulation, then goes up again in the winter for winter formulation, then goes up if there is a fire near a refinery. It is all fake. I worry about oil companies selling electricity and trying to say there is a "winter transmission fee". You know because EV's are so unreliable in the cold.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

You are thinking of the Kia/Hyundai implementation with the onboard inverter and you get that nearly worthless CCS to NEMA 5-15 for a measley 120v 15a output.

I am thinking of the implementation where they are feeding DC to a wall mounted inverter to run the whole house. Emporia, Autel, Wallbox all seem to have a v2x they are promising.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would have no issues with the gas prices if they were related to the actual price of gas and not weird oil company and state pricing schemes. I live in CA long enough and still don't understand why the price goes up in the summer for summer formulation, then goes up again in the winter for winter formulation, then goes up if there is a fire near a refinery. It is all fake. I worry about oil companies selling electricity and trying to say there is a "winter transmission fee". You know because EV's are so unreliable in the cold.
Actual price? Economics of oil and refined products are complex. Multiple layers, starting with crude at the well, transport of crude, refining, distribution and the final sale. File this with horse feed pricing and other declining size markets.

Service stations are mostly businesses that add a small margin to the price they pay for gasoline. They make most of their profit from other sales. Or places like Costco that control costs and do huge volumes, so can sell cheaper. Most of Costco's profit comes from membership fees. Service stations are the "oil companies" that are starting to partner with EVgo to sell electricity. If they follow their past business model, the coffee and snacks is where they would gouge you.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Old 05-03-2024, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

I have lived in CA for almost 40 years, and curiosity led me to do some research on the gas prices. Much of the price structure is pretty transparent. We all know that CA has a high gas tax. And, by the way, it just went up again by another 2.4 cents per gallon. The summer formulation is a real thing, and the limited distribution of gas used in CA costs more in terms of logistics. Supply and demand also play a part, as do subsidies. Sure, gas is expensive in CA, but so is pretty much everything else. Even farmers markets are not cheap anymore. There is some price gouging going on in CA with various goods and services, but gas isn't as big of an offender as it might seem. The per-hour labor rate for getting an EV fixed, on the other hand. Now there is some price gouging.

Quick Reply: Tesla lays off Supercharger team