Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Trunk opening?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk opening?

Multiple times now I have come back to my etron and found that the trunk gate is fully open. I have no idea what is causing it to open. The car has been locked. Has anyone else had this happen?
Old 10-19-2019, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had it happen once. I was getting ready to back out of the garage and noticed on the rear screen view that I was looking at the garage door but I had opened the garage door so it was the fact that the camera was up in the air. Scared the crap out of me cause I had already started in reverse and I don't think the open hatch would have cleared the garage door at the jamb. I don't have any idea what caused it but I'm a little more careful now.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

I think it's a case of the key being too sensitive. I now reverse the car into my garage because it will hit the garage door if the truck opens un-expectantly. There have been at least 2 times when i've leant into trunk and the key in my pocket has triggered it to close. It's outright dangerous! I don't know why the key buttons weren't concealed with a hard cover over the top of them because you really only need access to them in an emergency. I'm keeping my eye out for a 3rd party fob cover
Old 10-19-2019, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 337 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by hrc1079
I think it's a case of the key being too sensitive. I now reverse the car into my garage because it will hit the garage door if the truck opens un-expectantly. There have been at least 2 times when i've leant into trunk and the key in my pocket has triggered it to close. It's outright dangerous! I don't know why the key buttons weren't concealed with a hard cover over the top of them because you really only need access to them in an emergency. I'm keeping my eye out for a 3rd party fob cover
yes, this. ^

there’s a thread around here on fob covers/pouches that might help with this issue.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It has been reported on this forum already and is quite annoying. I have had it happen a couple of times as well. That was early on but not since. I tried some fob covers but they were either too big or did not allow the signal to pass through when I was standing next to the driver’s door and trying to get in the car.... problem still not solved.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Can it really be accidental touch? The button requires two pushes.

Also annoying is that two more pushes on my fob will not make the door go back down. Do you guys also have this issue?
Old 10-20-2019, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yup. Same here. Also the phone app locks and unlocks all doors but doesn’t close the trunk. The only way to close it is manually. Annoying that you can’t store ANYTHING in the car for fear that the trunk accidentally opens. Someone previously made a comment that we must be wearing tight jeans, but not necessarily true for all i’m sure.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hrc1079
I now reverse the car into my garage because it will hit the garage door if the truck opens un-expectantly.
You can program the lift gate to open up to a certain level. My A6 Avant was lower so it didn't hit the garage door, but the etron does, so I had to program it accordingly. Backing in is not possible for me because I have a bike hanging over the hood.

As for the main subject of this threat - me too. I was sorta half seriously considering dismantling the key and disabling the button, because never in my life (since 2005) did I use the key for anything other than proximity closing / opening of the doors, let alone opening the trunk.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:14 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

This has happened to me several times, they need to redesign the key with recessed buttons or switch back to the older style key.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yesterday was the third time it’s happened to me...and like once before, I had a trunk full of tools and such and was very lucky nothing was stolen. This is unacceptable! Key fob was not in my pocket; I suppose there’s no way to definitely say the button wasn’t depressed, but if that’s what happened then like others are saying it’s just too sensitive.

I called Audi and they said I need to take it to a dealer. Dealer is too far away so I don’t like that idea, especially if there’s an uncertainty to the actual fix. May try making some kind of button protective cover.

I’ve been reading about Q7 owners with this problem getting their key press times extended to 4 seconds...has anyone successfully done that themselves for an etron without going to a dealer? If so, with which app and OBD dongle?

Quick Reply: Trunk opening?