Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Trunk opening?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 340 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreeBall
I’ve been reading about Q7 owners with this problem getting their key press times extended to 4 seconds...has anyone successfully done that themselves for an etron without going to a dealer? If so, with which app and OBD dongle?
if such a capability exists, it would largely mitigate this issue. Please post here anything you may find out about this.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Tronification
if such a capability exists, it would largely mitigate this issue. Please post here anything you may find out about this.
Look at the second post (Tailgate Opening Delay - Via Remote Key Fob) at this link:

Q7 (4M) Coding
Old 11-17-2019, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that, anemeth...I watched some associated videos about how to use the VCDS and also the ODBeleven software and dongles...not sure if I'll try the coding update or just figure out how to protect the hatch open button from getting depressed. I thought I might have had it figured out with a hose clamp that covered the button but because of the fob's sloped edges the clamp just slides off. If I figure something else out, I'll patent it and sell it until Audi creates a better fob without this problem. ;>)

I did try to disassemble the key fob to see if I could maybe deactivate the hatch open button but it's not accessible without probably breaking the fob apart (can only access the battery compartment with the removable lid off).
Old 11-28-2019, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I hit mine on my garage door and cracked the taillight. $1200 part plus labor. Still haven't figured out how it opened. I only had the car for 1 week and was still so worried about the dimensions and scraping the side of my garage while backing out I was looking in the side view mirror instead of the rear view camera, so I didn't notice it was pointed at the ceiling.

One of those cases where if it wasn't electric I would have hear the exhaust and noticed it was open!
Old 11-28-2019, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch...bummer, sorry to hear.

I am more convinced the problem is the design of the key fob with the raised buttons easily pressed by anything else on the keychain or in the same pocket or compartment.

I have searched far and wide for a key fob case tailored for this etron fob and have not found one yet, and still not even sure such a case would reduce the likelihood of the hatch key getting depressed. I might just order a case meant for a similar Audi key fob and see how it works...
Old 11-28-2019, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdanjw
I hit mine on my garage door and cracked the taillight. $1200 part plus labor.!
Public notice for everyone, if your lift gate open height will hit something in your garage, please read you owner manual, to set the maximum open height. - IIRC, you will have to stop it at the desire position, and keep the button down by a few seconds, to set the max open height.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just bought a case for the key. It’s a generic case. Couldn’t find anything better after searching. It does seem to work. It has a firm backing on both sides so I believe the buttons won’t be pushed. And I can still unlock the doors and start the car without taking the key out of the case. In other words the car recognizes it as before without any interference.

i had the trunk open in the past without intending it about three times only in three months. So can’t guarantee that the problem is solved but pretty sure it is. Here is the link.

https://www.amazon.com/VILLSION-Universal-Genuine-Stainless-Keychain/dp/B07S6C4WRZ/ref=aw_pd_cart_vw_crc_2_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07S6C4WRZ&pd_rd_r=7Z6TVJPFFD0D2K8PMFXH&pd_rd_w=0dXbP&pd_rd_wg=vLe0v&pf_rd_p=921b51e0-e17d-4db0-a8bd-607b16af2b01&pf_rd_r=7Z6TVJPFFD0D2K8PMFXH&psc=1&refRID=7Z6TVJPFFD0D2K8PMFXH https://www.amazon.com/VILLSION-Universal-Genuine-Stainless-Keychain/dp/B07S6C4WRZ/ref=aw_pd_cart_vw_crc_2_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07S6C4WRZ&pd_rd_r=7Z6TVJPFFD0D2K8PMFXH&pd_rd_w=0dXbP&pd_rd_wg=vLe0v&pf_rd_p=921b51e0-e17d-4db0-a8bd-607b16af2b01&pf_rd_r=7Z6TVJPFFD0D2K8PMFXH&psc=1&refRID=7Z6TVJPFFD0D2K8PMFXH
Old 12-05-2020, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey everyone. I wanted to resurrect this thread. I had the trunk open (again) accidentally. It was poring rain for hours and amazingly the inside is minimally wet. But very frustrating.

I walked from the car into the house and put the key in a drawer. So still not sure how any buttons could have gotten pressed.

has anyone found a good key fob cover that works??? The last post had a link to Amazon that doesn’t work. Thank you.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 149 Posts

I have tried a couple but none have really solved the problem. My trunk opened with the key in my pocket. I now use a plastic cover which results in the button being recessed a little. This helps but does not prevent the issue entirely. I try to be very careful when getting into the car, especially when it is parked in the garage as the opening trunk door would hit things at some point. I also start the car right away and put it in drive as soon as possible as then the button no longer opens the trunk.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I find myself frequently unlocking the car with the key in my pocket. The only solution is to keep it in a breast pocket. Annoying.
Is there any chance that we will get Apple Car Key? I really like the Tesla solution to this (phone as key with RFID backup in wallet).

Originally Posted by Spideymd
I walked from the car into the house and put the key in a drawer. So still not sure how any buttons could have gotten pressed.
If that happens again you may want to talk to the dealer.

Last edited by Multiphonic; 12-05-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Trunk opening?