Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Virtual cockpit difference

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 545 Likes on 404 Posts

I got my Q8 etron in July 2023. At that time, the word was that Audi was planning on a hardware upgrade to the MMI mid-MY that would increase its capabilities. I am guessing that the hardware upgrade provides this enhanced performance. It is something, then, that would be available in only the more recent-production cars. Don't expect a retrofit. The industry is getting to be more like Tesla in that regard!

Last edited by JNealCox; 11-21-2023 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2023, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Here are my software versions. These seem far behind what is posted above. I have a ‘24 Q8 sportback with the Premium Plus trim. Maybe different trims have different software packages? Any other ‘24 Premium Plus owners with different software. Is there a way I can find out the most recent software for my car?
Old 12-08-2023, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My dealership got back to me and said that all Q8 e-Trons arriving in the last month have this new layout, and there is no update available for one's delivered earlier in the year.
Old 12-08-2023, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by crm2
My dealership got back to me and said that all Q8 e-Trons arriving in the last month have this new layout, and there is no update available for one's delivered earlier in the year.
I’m sure your dealership said this and they may even believe it, but I find that very hard to believe since they are all running the same system. My gut is that this is hardware related and so the only way to tell for sure is to compare your car with a car with the exact same trim purchased earlier in the year.
Old 12-08-2023, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 545 Likes on 404 Posts

Except they ARE NOT running exactly the same system. Audi did a mid-year hardware/firmware upgrade to the MMI to enable new features and that will not be retrofitted. Q8 manufactured after mid-year come with the updated system.
The following users liked this post:
rc1991 (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JNealCox
Except they ARE NOT running exactly the same system. Audi did a mid-year hardware/firmware upgrade to the MMI to enable new features and that will not be retrofitted. Q8 manufactured after mid-year come with the updated system.
Yup, although we bought ours at the end of October it was manufactured in March 2023 according to the decal on the door frame and it’s running the older version of the software and a has a different (older) hardware version than the one with the new layout. It’s a nice to have but still pleased with the vehicle as is.
Old 12-09-2023, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JNealCox
Was that change on all the trims? My car was mfg in July but it still has that “old” hardware number. I have a premium plus SB.

Also, any chance you know what that hardware and software change actually does and what features they are looking to support in the future (that won’t be supported by the earlier Q8’s)? Just wondering how significant they are.

Last edited by RMSko; 12-09-2023 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-09-2023, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RMSko
Was that change on all the trims? My car was mfg in July but it still has that “old” hardware number. I have a premium plus SB.

Also, any chance you know what that hardware and software change actually does and what features they are looking to support in the future (that won’t be supported by the earlier Q8’s)? Just wondering how significant they are.
The upgrade in hardware supports OTA beyond just the map database. It also supports the new Audi app store where you can download YouTube, etc.

​​​​This is not limited to Q8 trims, it's a complete swap for all Q8 vehicles and several other Audi models.
​​
Old 12-10-2023, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiDan2018
The upgrade in hardware supports OTA beyond just the map database. It also supports the new Audi app store where you can download YouTube, etc.

​​​​This is not limited to Q8 trims, it's a complete swap for all Q8 vehicles and several other Audi models.
​​
How would I know whether I have it? Can I assume that Audi won’t retrofit it even on a ‘24 Q8?
Old 12-10-2023, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RMSko
How would I know whether I have it? Can I assume that Audi won’t retrofit it even on a ‘24 Q8?
I would venture to guess that if you have the driver assistance screen like what was shared above, you probably have the new hardware.

Your assumption is correct. Audi won't retrofit. They did every last 2019 owner dirty with false promises of upgrades. Then, they released new hardware in the 2021+ OG e-tron models and left the 2019 people in the dust. Audi is just a mess when it comes to software these days.

Quick Reply: Virtual cockpit difference