Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

ED for expat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ED for expat?

How realistic would it be for me as an expat living in the UK to purchase a car for ED during my next trip back to the states, then wait around for my delivery date in the UK? Do I need to be the one who picks it up from the dealer when it's eventually shipped? Anything else need to be done in person in between order and pickup?
Old 05-14-2008, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not quite sure what you're asking...

So you are currently living in the UK, and while you are back in the US on vacation you want to purchase a car from a US dealer for ED. You'd then fly back to the UK to wait it out, and then once it's ready to pickup, you'd travel from the UK to Germany, but then what's your plan? You want to not take it to a drop off center, and instead simply drive it back to the UK, or are you wanting to drop it off as normal but then not be in the US when it finally makes it back to the dealer? If that's the case, would the car then remain in the US, or would you make separate arrangements to export it over to the UK?

The car needs to be paid in full prior to the trip, but there's shouldn't be anything that needs to be done in person at the dealer after the initial order. Between AoA and the dealer, all of the necessary paperwork will be mailed to you (although asking to have it sent it to a UK address might throw up a red flag). Anything else that comes up should be able to be done over the phone, email, or fax.

You absolutely do need to be the one to pick up the car at the delivery center in Germany, but whether or not you need to be present at the US dealer to take final delivery would seem to be an issue for you to work out with them. With the amount of paperwork and things to sign I would assume that they would require the owner (you) to be the one to take delivery.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hopefully to answer your questions.......

I took this right off of the Audi website:

Can I have a relative take delivery of my Audi for me?

The purchaser must take delivery of their vehicle.

Try and contact Kathy Bis, she heads up the Audi European Delivery Program. I am guessing she will be the best person to answer your particular question regarding expat.

Good Luck!<ul><li><a href="http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/experience/european_delivery.html">http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/experience/european_delivery.html</a</li></ul>
Old 05-14-2008, 07:31 AM

Default Sorry, left out that detail

Been living here (UK) for a few years but plan to move back home (US) later in the year. Makes the idea of ED appealing if during a normal visit home I can pop down to a dealer and place an order, then take a nice vacation from here to pick it up, then by the time I move back I already have my car waiting for me. From the experiences of the people who've done ED, would I be able to get away with it?
Old 05-14-2008, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Seems like you could make the timing work out...

Assuming you can get the ED set up on the initial trip to the states, why not plan to do it during the later stages of your living in the UK? Once you've dropped off the car in Germany, there's still anywhere from 6-8 weeks before it shows up at the dealer, during which time you can do your move. In theory, you and the car could arive in the states at the same time, but I'm sure you could arrange with the dealer to hold it if you were arriving a little later.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default i don't see why not

I would get all the arrangement done before you come here, be here to sign the paper work, pay etc. Pick it up and you can use it even for 6 months (with extra insurance ofcourse), drop it off and it should be in US 2 months later.