Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Aye, Back again too soon with clutch/transmission problems??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aye, Back again too soon with clutch/transmission problems??

Okay well the S has been doing very well, until I started to get some clutch pedal only coming back up half way..did this for about a week or so. I of course shouldn't have been driving it but of course in middle of 5 o' clock traffic here in Denver at a red light the clutch pedal just falls straight to the floor.

I don't really wanna talk about what happen there but I forced it into 1st gear and limped off to the side and found refuge in a gas station parking lot..so I know spare me the discussion on I should have stopped driving I realize that now and then. But NOW I can't get it to go into 1st, 2nd or reverse while off of course but I CAN get it into 3rd, 4th, and 5th also when I start it up it makes a kinda rod knocking noise but I have mechanic stethoscope and its coming from the bell housing of the tranny?

So is this happening because its a hydraulic system that has no pressure going because the master or slave cylinder or combination of the two having had failed or did I blow out my clutch bearing or does it sound more along the lines of syncro's are gone?? Any input is VERY appreciated!!!!
Old 07-31-2012, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be one of three things:

1. Broken rod on the clutch master cylnder:

2. Slave cylinder failure:

3. Broken clutch pedal:

Old 07-31-2012, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The transmission can be difficult to shift into R, 1 or 2 . The forcing into 1st probably moved the shift lever adjustment just slightly, making it more difficult. It may need adjustment once your clutch issue is solved.

Usually, the blame for clutch pedal on the floor goes to the clutch master or slave cylinder, or the hose connecting the two. Check that brake fluid reservoir just to make sure there is enough fluid to supply the clutch.

The half way pedal points to the master or slave or no fluid because of a leak. The knocking noise sounds like something mechanical in the clutch itself. When I saw all these symptoms together, the clutch pressure plate had fractured in two.

You might want to make contingency plans for what clutch you want in the system and where you want to buy it. You might as well get the clutch master and slave cylinders and check the flex line between them.