Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

coolant leak above oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak above oil filter?

i have just had the worst day and night. worked 10 hours took care of my 3 month old until 10 came home w/ my fiancee to a puddle of coolant.

got a crappy flashlight and its running off the oil pan and fairly fast. seems like its coming from over the oil filter, the housing looks soaked.

i have not had a chance to look around there much, only had the car for less than a month. how many coolant lines would be on that side of the motor?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Only thing near the filter is the lines to the turbo. When my water pump went, it was leaking down

the oil pan from the front. Just a thought.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Only thing near the filter is the lines to the turbo

the lines are braided to turbo? do they have gaskets? they look fairly new

if the water pump broke would there be pressure in the system after running?

do these have an oil cooler w/coolant lines on it?

its really hard to tell where this is actually coming from
Old 02-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default super lost

now i am really lost here.

the gasket between the oil filter housing and block is wet. the oil pan by the motor mount on pass side is wet. the oil pan is wet in the center likr it has ran from the pass side. but this i dont get, the bolt for the ac compressor had fresh antifreese on it.

the crank pulley looks dry.....

where do i go from here?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're going to have to wash down the motor to find this leak.

Is it pooling? Or just a minor drip?

Just because stuff looks new doesn't mean it isn't leaking. There are lots of places that can leak coolant, and several of them are hard to see/get at.

When you searched this forum on coolant leaks, what did you find?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There is a hard stainless line the couples on to the top of the turbo then comes out the bottom of

the turbo and turns into a hose that is connected to the block. It's best seen from under the car. Those are the only lines on the passengers side. on the back of the block there is a plastic hose fitting that can leak (mine is right now) and dribble down the bell housing. Other than that I would lean towards the water pump. It can leak even with out pressure because it is fairly low.

How many mile? Is it the original pump?

And Silber is right, wash it off and look around.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: You're going to have to wash down the motor to find this leak.

there were a few guys with almost phantomish leaks. a couple were secondary water pump which was already done.

i just had the car running and noticed that coolant runs right from the front of the oil pan. it had obviously blown around.

possibly water pump like turbos4audi suggested?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: There is a hard stainless line

i probably should wash it off. i am just trying to figure this out so i can get the parts from work tomorrow and not get jammed with the weekend and no ups.
i guess at this point i am essentially getting nowhere.

some more searching here seems like a water pump, rolling straight out from the center of the oil pan in the front of the motor. if that is leaking, its running on the block and not getting on the pulleys.

car has 146xxx and i have no idea if the pump is original. with that kind of mileage i would hope not.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Kind of random guess but I think it might be the water pump. Emre had this problem on his car after

we went ice racing years back on Mallets bay. We were blasting around on the ice and afterwards he was leaking coolant. Found out later after closer inspection that it was his water pump.

I know this probably doesn't help at all but wash it off and check around and you should be able to pin point.

I just got done degreasing my motor because of a bad/improperly seated valve cover gasket which in turn blew oil all over the turbo side of the motor. After replacing for the 2nd time along with turbo oil seals I wanted to clean things up a bit. Washed everything off thanks to the 40+ deg yesterday and haven't seen any leaks yet.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default check that turbo coolant line where it comes out of the block

underneath the exhaust manifold. There is a freeze plug with a nipple on it in the block and IIRC there is a rubber extension on the end of the turbo coolant line that fits over that nipple with a standard small hose clamp securing it. Mine was leaking before I went in there and redid everything. Kind of difficult to get at without going from underneath and removing the oil filter/housing and lines.

Quick Reply: coolant leak above oil filter?