Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Random failure to start = ignition switch? It seems that my problem is a little bit

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random failure to start = ignition switch? It seems that my problem is a little bit

different from other "won't start" horror stories. In my case, the first time it happened was two weeks ago: I turn the key, starter cranks but no ignition. Seems that the car has no gas or some security feature keeps it from starting. I actually cranked it for 20min and not a sign of ignition - surprisingly the battery held up! I stepped out and locked and unlocked the car many times, with different keys, opened and closed every door. After about 30 min, just before calling the flatbed, I tried it once more and it started as if nothing happened. One week later the same thing happens and I get stuck for 40 min before the car decides to fire up again. The only clue is that on both ocasions I left the car unlocked before the problem occured - once overnight in my garage, the second time when I parked it just to pick up my laundry and left the car unlocked for maybe 15 min.
Everything eletrical works (a/c, lights, radio, display) when I experiencing the problem. Any clues? TIA
Old 03-07-2006, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Random failure to start = ignition switch? It seems that my problem is a little bit

Fuel Pump Relay?
Old 03-07-2006, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replace your ignition switch, now

mine was doing the same thing, it would occasionally start fine, then other times crank until the battery died. btw, buy your replacement ignition switch from audi. it was $37 at my local dealer. you can get them online for $17, but they're not made by VWAG and in my case the cheapo replacement failed after 6 or so starts, leaving me stranded again.

it's normal for all your accessories to work in this situation. there's apparently a 2nd pole in the keyswitch that controls the fuel pump, which is where the switch fails.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've been having a similar problem, but not as bad.

Ever since I got the car in June 2005 I have only been able to turn the key when it is inserted with the rings toward the steering column. Other than that it always worked fine until recently. I've noticed in the past few months that the car will crank but not start occasionally, but it always starts on the 2nd or 3rd try. I noticed that when it cranks but won't start the dash doen't light up like it should. When I turn the key to "on" the normal idiot lights and auto check stay dark. If I cycle the key on and off the dash will light up and it will start right up.

Is this the same ignition switch failure? I have full records on my car IIRC it has had the dealer replace the switch twice before.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:53 PM

Default Re: I've been having a similar problem, but not as bad.

Hi have the exact same problem as you thetatau87! My car sleep in the garage all night and in the morning the car won't start. The autocheck is dark as well. Wait a while, trun key untill I see the Autocheck then it start right up. Btw, when I lock the car, I don't hear the horn anymore...starting problem started at the time as well.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm still getting the beep from the alarm when I lock the doors.