Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Is tehre a reasonable way to plug a modern phone into my S?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Joey T

Default Is tehre a reasonable way to plug a modern phone into my S?

It actually has a phone in the center console. It seems to operate.....can I have it turned on?

It would be cool to tell people "this is my number in my car..."
Old 01-10-2008, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think analog is dead in the USA. I could be wrong. You can activate in Canada.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Not dead yet, will be soon.

Analog uses a lot of bandwidth compared to digital. Bandwidth is very expensive. The FCC mandate to keep the analog system running expires next month. Ergo...
Old 01-10-2008, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You have a few choices..

1) Use a basic bluetooth speaker phone. There are several out there. They are a speaker, mic, and connect to your phone via bluetooth. They also make units that the speaker/mic connects to the phone with a wire.

2) Bose-ectomy, and put in bluetooth head unit.

3) Engineer your own set-up involving the existing speaker and mic set-up. You can search around for the phone pin diagrams, and there is a write up for connecting an old Nokia phone to the set-up. I started looking into this, and just don't have the time or desire.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Lane Shark

You know of any Cdn's w/ 1 hooked up?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I just did this in my URS6 this past weekend, very very cool mod!

I got the Motorola HF1000 kit and I have a Motorola Q. It has it's own voice commands and contact list, or you can use the one on your phone, or dial by saying the numbers out loud.

I'm putting together a how to, but it's taking some time, and I"m not quite finished with the full install yet. Because the interface is in the trunk, I've had to create an extension for the controler wire so that I can get it to where I want it on the dash.

It's not a hard under taking, but it does require some patience and proper tools help, but any decient set of dykes, a small screw driver set, and a very small pliers will do.

I went to Radio Shack and got a solderless 25pin DB connector, and used a pin out that was sent to me by one of the other fine folks here. Got the correct pin config on the DB25, then spliced in the HF1000. If you remove the phone box in the trunk, you can then just connect the DB25 to the cars stock connector and away you go!

There is also a how to done for the '99+ A4 platform that is almost identical for our cars. The linked A4 how to seems very technical, it's not nearly that technical with my install.

It works very well. When a call comes in it cuts the radio, and uses the speaker under the arm rest. It also tells you which phone is connected when you first start the car. (A female voice says "Phone 1 is connected." It's like the car is alive and by co-workers love it...lol.

I'm currently using the integrated mic and speaker, but may opt for the unit's mic depending on how it sounds to those I talk to (haven't really gotten a chance to use it much yet.)

Best parts are that as long as I keep getting blue tooth enabled phones, I will never have to mess with another kit install as long as I own the car, and up to 4 phones can be connected to it (not at the same time,) so the Wife's phone works also when she's driving.

I came home from Broomball (yes, I said broomball,) last night. The phone was on the charger in the house, and it picked it up when I pulled into the garage, so distance on the bluetooth isn't an issue!

A bonus is NO DASH WORK unless you want to mount the control unit on the dash and hide the wire. But all the electrical work is in the trunk, and mostly assembled outside the car. (the DB25 is a beautiful thing.)

A future addition is to try and make the uber sweet 90's handset cut over and assume the mic and speaker role when it's picked up, but I'm going to have to get one of the electrical engineers at work to help me with that little project, as I think it will require a custom relay / cut over for when the handset is picked up.

Email me and I can send you what I have so far.

The Bluethooth kit was $120ish off ebay, but you can get other less feature rich units that funciton in the same way for under $100.<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec12.shtml">A4 install link.</a></li></ul>
Old 01-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I still have service on mine.

it works great! I've been getting regular mail from verizon indicating the end is near but they've been saying that for years now.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes
Old 01-10-2008, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sweet!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ahhhhh....yes. Tom, you're the one that sent the Schmatics all those months ago...THANKS!

It took me a while, but I had to actually get the car on the road first...lol.

You don't mind me forwarding on the screen shots and info you sent me do you?

Quick Reply: Is tehre a reasonable way to plug a modern phone into my S?